Chapter 20 - Frustrating

My fists are shaking, but it's different this time. It's just rage, making my heart beating faster, harder and all my limbs trembling to contain that. I want to go back there and demand her to fix all this, to stop this show and just turn herself in. She crossed all the boundaries and she has to pay. I don't want to hurt her, because that means being like her, but I want her to stop.

"What do we do?" I turn to face Nora, not trusting my mind right now. I'm too emotional, too unstable to make a sensible decision. If I do what I want, I'll probably get in trouble.

One thing I've learnt from watching my father duel in the world of business is that a good lawyer can do anything. If you have a good lawyer, even if you have evidence against the criminal, this can still be sent free and declared not-guilty. A lawyer can twist everything and save even a murderer.

Laura has power now, she has good lawyers and if I just go to her I can just make a fool of myself. I can't act rashly, I need to be careful. That's why I'm here, for starters, hiding instead of going there. I need to be careful, protect myself.

"I don't know. I need to call Mum and talk to her, but for sure I know we have to stay here for now and keep you safe. If a body showed up, then it means they need to kill you for sure. You can't be alive if there's a body in the morgue with your name."

Hearing her saying that makes me sick to the stomach and I think I'm going to throw up for real this time. I have to release her hand and cover my mouth with it.

"Someone is looking for you and I'm sure if you get close home, they'll be waiting for you. They might've done this to lure you back and attack then. So we need to be extra careful. Keeping you alive is the most important thing."

I nod my head, feeling my shoulders too heavy with all this. She's right, this could be a trap to make me come out and get rid of me for ever, before anyone sees me. Laura—because I'm sure she's behind this—bought the police, the morgue and who knows who else. It's not just a person after me, and that's bloody terrifying. It's like a hunt and I'm the prey.

"What about my family?" I whisper feebly.

"I doubt we can tell them you're all right. They surely are under surveillance, knowing you'd want to contact them to let them know you're okay."

"Why is it all so hard?" I whine, covering my face with a hand, feeling so tired. I feel so trapped, like I can't move without fearing someone will find me and shoot me. It's such a small cage and it's asphyxiating me.

"I'm sorry, Blanca." Her voice is sympathetic and so worried. "But we need to protect you and be careful about this. Will is right, if we want them to face justice, we need to do this well. Figure out our plan and collect solid evidence that can't be refuted."

I sigh, because I know it's true. I wish it weren't like that, that like in movies you just needed to face the bad guy and ruin their plans. But life is not a film, there's so much bureaucracy, especially for all legal things.

No wonder why Laura wanted me dead. It's easier that fighting legally for a bit more of power. It's faster.

"I'll go call Mum now, you stay here." I nod my head, but I can't look up at her or anything else right now. "Please, look after her."

I know she's not telling me that so she must be talking to Will. I don't hear his reply, but I do hear Nora standing up and leaving my side to walk out of the kitchen, probably heading somewhere more private. Then there's weight on the bench and someone next to me.

I sigh, dreading the moment Will asks me how I'm doing, because what else can he do? What do you say in a situation like this? But instead of asking anything, he pats my head, lightly, his hand sliding down my hair and I freeze.