Part 8: Burning Jealousy, Shattered Pearls

The night of prom, Xander had called me, boasting about the awesome time he had with Riley. I was really happy for him. It's just, normally Xander and I would have hung out this weekend or something. But now, he spends all of his free time with Riley.

The weekend went by with thoughts of Finn. This was something I would have usually asked my mother for advice about. Now, I just stayed away from her. Last night, she did try to knock on my door and talk to me. I wouldn't have it. I had thrown a pillow at the door and screamed at her to go away. She hasn't said anything to me since then.

Ryker left me feeling so conflicted. It seemed like he would try to do something nice for me, but it was always backhanded, as if he had an ulterior motive. Which was why I was holding on to the hope that he was wrong about Finn. He probably just wanted to ruin my relationship with Finn for some sick reason.

I resolved that I would have to talk to Finn at school tomorrow. If what Ryker said was true, then Finn must think I'm an idiot. I sighed, falling back on my pillows. I didn't know if I was dreading the confrontation, or looking forward to it.

~*~*~*~

"Finn, can we talk?" I asked after school the next day at his locker. He had been avoiding me all day, even moved his seat in English so it was far from mine.

"There's nothing to talk about," he shrugged, closing his locker, "You intrigued me, sure, but I never felt anything more for you. You were just a game I wanted to play from the start, except you played by the rules more than I thought you would. We never even kissed. I'll admit though, I thought I would have you on your back soon. If it wasn't for Ryker, you would be."

He spun on his heel and walked down the hallway. I wasn't sad about what he said. I was angry. I had been played, and Ryker knew it. He had been right. That's what made me mad.

"Told you so," a breath whispered in my ear.

"Go to hell," I muttered, balling my hands into fists.

"Can't. I'm already there."

I spun around, fist flying before either of us saw it coming. It connected with Ryker's jaw and his head snapped to the side.

He brought his head back around and I was surprised to see a deep purple bruise already forming. He licked his lips, tongue gliding over the piercing he hasn't taken out since the night of the concert. My eyes were drawn to his mouth and my heart started beating faster until his lips were drawn up in a smirk.

"Don't fall for me, Angel."

That made me glad I had given him that nasty bruise. I flipped him off for like the millionth time and strode down the hallway.

When I got home, mom was in the kitchen, fixing dinner. When I went in the kitchen and she saw the tears brimming on my eyelids, she opened her arms and I collapsed in them. I sobbed into her shirt.

I cried because of Finn, I cried because I've been distanced from my mom lately, and I cried for my dad. 

My mom rubbed soothing circles on my back until I had stopped crying. I wiped my eyes and spilled everything that had happened and everything that was on my mind. She listened the whole time.

"Forget Finn. There are so many other boys out there who deserve you. I'm glad Xander found himself a girl, but you should still talk to him and hang out with him. He should make some time for you," my mom said, "That boy will drag you out of this ditch."