The Twenty First Letter

Avery's POV
"I don't know why I followed ya all the way out here." I mumble. My cowgirl boots softly clack against the pavement. Theo led me away from the dance to the local bar a block away.

"You'll know it when you see it." Theo says mysteriously. With jingling keys Theo unlocks a door and disappears behind it. I follow after him, marching up a stack of stairs behind him. I have so many questions bubbling up at the back of my throat, though the most prominent one is where did he get that tux from. Instead I just silently follow him through yet another door.

We walk into a room, a small dingy room. There's only three windows that give off the only light since there aren't any light fixtures. A twin size mattress with no sheets is thrown on the floor. A rusty green filing cabinet is being used as a makeshift dresser, and is stuffed with folded clothes. A rack in the middle of room hangs the rest of Theo's clothes.

 A rack in the middle of room hangs the rest of Theo's clothes

"Ya got an apartment?" I ask, looking around the room. "How? Why?" I add. Theo gazes at me, looking at me like he's looking at me for the first time.

"You look beautiful." Theo says, making my toes curl up in my cowgirl boots.

"Theo, please answer just one darn question." I beg, ignoring his complement. Theo takes a big strides towards mad till he's only inches away. I'm not sure if I should step closer or step away.

"Why did ya just up and leave?" I say softly. Through the dark Theo looks down at me with a hooded look that makes my knees shake.

"Because I love you, Avery Joanna Parker." Theo smiles down at me.

"Holy crap." I breathe, the words feeling like they just smacked me. "Did I just imagined that?" I ask. Theo chuckles at me, his hands entwining with mine.

"This doesn't make a lick of sense. Ya said ya couldn't be with me! Ya left!" I stumble away from him.

"Because I couldn't start a relationship with you while living on your mom's charity." Theo explains, closing the distance between us. "Your mother would have castrated me if I tried to get to first pace." Theo elaborates.

No, she wouldn't. Mama would have ran him over with the tracker.

"And I did it for me two." Theo adds. "I got to use to living in the Parker barn. I needed to get my own place, and a job, and money. I just needed to have and earn something for myself." Theo states, his blue eyes cutting through the dark.

It clicks now. Theo never said he didn't like me back, he just said he couldn't.

"This place is worse than a barn though." I force a smile, but it falls. "Can ya say it again?" I ask quietly. Theo walks up to me till we're only inches apart.

"I love you." Theo breathes, a huge smile growing across his pierced lips. I smile back up at him, my hands raising up and cupping his face.

"I wanted to do this forever." Theo breathes against my lips. Theo swoops down and presses his lips hard against mine. His rough hands fly up and run through my hair, completely undoing my up do. Theo's rough mouth moves against mine, and his lip ring brushes against my lips.

"I love you, Theo." I mumble against his lips. My knees go weak, and we fall onto the messy mattress in a tangled heap.