CHAPTER 2 - FROM TEARS TO SMILE

CHAPTER – 2

FROM TEARS TO SMILE

MIA COLLINS

"DANCE!" Adam yells and I dance kinda forgetting that I'm not a too-good dancer.

Adam mouths the lyrics of the song and I soon join him.

"Blow a kiss, fire a gun...." We sing along or rather shout along with excitement.

I didn't know I would dance, sing and enjoy so much. It really feels good. For the first time I took part in a party with my friends and I thought I would head back to my house with disappointment and hatred but Adam changed everything. I least expected that I would enjoy so much.

Somewhere I saw a face like Emma and I looked at the direction to find if it was really Emma.

"WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?" asks Adam screaming from the top of his voice so that he's audible in the crowd.

"LOOKING IF THAT'S EMMA." I reply and I don't know if Adam could make out what I said.

However I don't bother and continue looking at the girl. Adam turns towards the direction of the girl and suddenly holds me tight on my waist.

"WHAT?" I ask him but he doesn't respond. He only smiles wryly and suddenly makes some kinda movements with me and I think we're dancing! Oh my God! What are we doing? We're pushing the people so hard but no one seems to care because they're all enjoying the party and most of them are drunk.

"Hey, Emma!" Adams says to someone turning to his right. I was shocked and I turned towards whomever he spoke to and found it was Emma! Oh my God! We just came to her!

"Hey! MIA AND ADAM!" she screamed and soon hugged me.

Oh, I was unaware that Adam had long left his grip on my waist. I can see John who's smiling. Once Emma dropped me from her arms, John hugged me.

Oh my God! His hug is so hard. I think my bone just broke and my muscles weakened.

'Oh! Man! You just broke my bones and I'm not going to spare you. Just let go!' said my psyche and she's absolutely right.

I however faked a smile when he left me. I don't know how Emma undergoes her bone- breaking sessions. I don't think Emma is any stronger than me because she's the skinniest and the bony girl I've ever met. Not that I'm really fit but even I'm skinny but she's skinnier.

I look at Adam with amazement and he just gives his wry smile.

'You bloody master of dance and pushing people, what did you just do?' I want to ask him but anyway I didn't. I think my face and my expression said it all.

Emma and John (that Mr. Strong) had started to jump up and down when the song History, from One Direction began. Wow! One Direction! I jump along as I listen to the song. Adam does that too but it seems like he's jumping really high and I thought there was a spring beneath his legs that's throwing him up this high but I soon suppress this foolish thought because he's way taller than me. I'm only 5'2 while he might be 5'8 or something.

I can't believe that this is happening. I am so happy that I forgot about me being ignored and lonely a few hours ago. I secretly thank Adam for giving me this happiness. If not for him, I would not have loved this party so much. And from now on, I simply love 'partaaaaying!'

Adam Johnson is one of friends and a classmate. I seriously love talking to him. We've talked so much about so many things for so many hours. There's something about Adam. I'm always comfortable with him. That doesn't mean we have not had fights. We've always had those little fights. I call them 'little' because we've always gotten back together no matter how much we've argued or quarreled. Adam is a really good guy I've ever met.

I don't have any acquaintances except Adam and Emma. Thank my old self for finding good people like them apart from being a bookworm. I've now decided to get out of that stupid nutshell I've always locked myself with books. I want to be one among the community around me and not an out-cast. I'm 15 years now and it's time for me to change and enjoy the world. Man, no one's going to remember how much you scored in a maths test but only beautiful memories like the five seconds you spent happily remain in your heart if not in your brain.

I changed my mind right now and right here. I am enjoying now and I don't think any of my academic accomplishments have given this great satisfaction and happiness to me.

I love today! After cherishing these thoughts in my mind, I look up as I jump and now I feel like I'm on top of the world and there's so much more in life. I thank God for this moment and then look at Adam who is now looking at me.

He doesn't seem normal. Probably he's thinking something. He looks at me strangely, unusually. I soon stop jumping and so does he. I furrow my eyebrows looking at him with a smile on my face trying to figure out what was wrong with him. He gives a smile, not his wry smile but his different smile that takes time for me to recall the last time he smiled at me that way but I don't remember. Maybe he has never smiled at me that way. His face shows his hesitance and his eyes sparkles like I've never seen before. He comes closer to me and I can see his lips perched on his face in a very uncomfortable manner. My face is an entire book of question marks and confusions. I want to know what he's up to.

He comes close, closer and even closer to me and leans towards my ear and whispers something. His soft and manly voice just said, "You're beautiful"......