Chapter 2

Content Warning: Strong language

"So we see here how Coca Cola was able to implement global marketing concepts when launching the new campaign of Open Happiness..." Mr O'Hara spoke loud and clear in the large class room as the slide show continued emphasizing the points in the lecture.

Nawal quietly listened and supressed the urge to yawn. She always found marketing boring. Any courses related to marketing always made her cringe. It was part of her three year undergraduate business management course in University College of Dublin (UCD). Just then her phone vibrated on the desk. She hurriedly lifted the phone and snuck it under the table. She unlocked it and saw there was a text message.

Lisa: Aiofa and I are going out shopping to city after class. Wanna come?

Nawal bit her lip and glanced at Lisa who was sitting only two seats away. She rose her eyebrows and tilted her head upwards in a silent gesture to know Nawal's answer. Nawal hurriedly glanced down on her phone and typed away her response.

I don't think so.

Lisa read the message and scowled but that didn't stop her from persuading Nawal.

Lisa: We will go only for an hour. PLEASE. I need your advice on the make-up.

Nawal rolled her eyes but before she could respond someone cleared their throat beside her, making her phone fall on the ground from her jittery fingers. The echo of the phone banging on the floor momentarily distracted Mr O'Hara and he looked at Nawal. It was least to say, she was embarrassed. Unable to meet the lecturer's eyes, she acted out as if she was jotting down notes. It was a good thing she had the pen in her hand.

There was an eerie silence in the classroom. Nawal continued to doodle with her pen on her notebook not able to lift her head. She could feel the eyes of other students on her as well as Mr. O'Hara.

"Right so as I was saying Coca Cola..." Mr O'Hara spoke.

When Mr. O'Hara resumed his description on the Coca Cola global marketing campaign, Nawal took a deep breath. She then glared at Lisa whose shoulders shook in silent laughter. Nawal bent down to pick up her phone from the ground and this time concentrated to actually listen to the lecture and write some notes.

****

Nawal rushed out of the classroom when it was over. She didn't want to talk to Lisa at all. She was fuming. This was not the first time she had gotten in trouble because of Lisa. She strode out the hall and was determined to leave the campus as fast as possible when she heard hurried footsteps behind her.

"Hey, wait up Nav."

Nawal didn't bother and continued her quick tread out of the campus but Lisa was quicker and she was able to meet Nawal's pace and clutch her arm, making Nawal jerk to a stop.

"WHAT?" Nawal turned glowering at Lisa.

"Sorry. It really wasn't my fault you know. You should be more careful when holding your phone." Lisa shrugged nonchalantly.

"Don't text me during the class next time then." Nawal hissed.

"Fine fine. Come on now let's go to city."

Nawal shook her head and started to say, "N..."

"I will treat you to lunch. I promise and even one chocolate bar." Lisa pleaded.

Nawal crossed her arms over her chest and huffed, "Fine but next time I am not forgiving you."

"You are a sweetheart. Let's go now."