Part twenty-six

Dean P.O.V.

"You can't wear that to a date." 

"Why not?" 

"It's just a t-shirt you wear all the time! Move, I'll find you something," Dan pushed me away from the wardrobe in our room and began to hunt through all our clothes, and I now regretted always just throwing it all in instead of putting things on coat hangers. "Where are you going anyway?" 

"The theme park outside town. I've never been to one so I don't even know if I like rides." 

"I'm sure Jack will protect you." 

"S-Shut up," Dan glanced sideways to look at me just in time to see a crimson layer rise to my cheeks and just grinned, turning back the wardrobe. "What do you even wear to theme park? He said to wear something causal." 

"Yeah, but you need to look like you've made an effort.

"You sound like a girl," Dan glared but threw a pair of denim shorts my way. 

"Wear those and this... and you should probably wear that in case in rains," he continued as he threw a loose short sleeved t-shirt and then a thin coloured jacket. 

"Is a beanie allowed? I'm having a bad hair day." 

"I guess so," he shrugged. "Go and get dressed, he'll be here soon." 

"What time is it?" 

"Uhh... quarter to 10." 

"Fuck!" I sprinted into the bathroom and threw on the outfit, rolling the sleeves of the jacket up just below the elbow, putting the wristbands that I wore to death on show. I dragged a brush through my hair to pull through the tangles and mess and straightened it again, putting a beanie on to hide the back of the hair that wasn't satisfactory enough for the public eye. 

"Dean! Jack's here!" My mother called up the stairs.

"Okay!" I replied and even though I had known Jack for months and we'd been together for almost 2 weeks, I was nervous and the butterflies that were fluttering around in my stomach were enough to cancel the whole thing altogether. I had to remind myself that this was Jack and I always got like this just before I saw him and everything had always turned out fine. 

After taking some reassuring deep breaths I made my way to downstairs, completely relaxing when Jack was in my sight and despite the few yards between us, I felt safe again because he was here.

My mother had invited Jack in and was making small talk with him in the lounge but stopped and smiled at me when I stood next to Jack and his hand found its way into mine. 

"Well, have a good time, boys! Be safe, stay together-" 

"We will, we will, we will," I told her, waving my hand dismissively.

"Yeah, my parents are dropping us off there and they'll pick us up after," Jack said, giving my hand a squeeze. 

"Oooh let me find my camera and take a picture! First date! When I was your age..." she babbled on as she left the room into the kitchen. Jack chuckled and turned to face me and leaned down to kiss me gently. 

"You look beautiful, by the way," he remarked. 

"You're not too bad yourself," I shrugged, although that was the biggest understatement I had made that week. He had managed to pull off the most causal outfit to make it look smart but not too smart, where he put some thought into it but not too much so that it was all just right

"You were the never the one to be afraid of the use of subtlety," he said, amusement tinting his voice. He placing another kiss on my forehead as my mother's voice got louder as she got closer to us, walking back in to the room.