Chapter 38

Chapter 38

About an hour passed by, and although Alexander was sleeping, I couldn't join him. I couldn't even close my eyes without getting a severe migraine. I felt horrible. But then, I realized how horrible Alex must have felt. That made me angry with myself, getting upset over a simple headache, while my boyfriend had been struggling to survive .

Eventually Stephanie stepped back into the room, and stood next us, smiling down weakly at her brother. She must have been admiring how comfortable he looked. I took her wrist and pulled her closer, making her lay down on the other side of Alex, but she was on top of the covers.

So there we were, holding onto Alex as he slept sound asleep, trying desperately not to cry.

Then the doctor soon entered the room again, and as soon as the door closed behind him Alex woke up.

"Good afternoon," Dr. Carter said, oddly smiling, this time.

He pulled himself up and rested his back against the pillows, Stephanie and I both staying where we were, hoping we were going to hear good news for a change. "What time is it?" Alex asked, still sounding tired.

"Around noon," he answered, holding a clipboard behind his back.

"Oh, alright," Alex gulped, looking over at me and grinning.

I smiled back, even though I was unsure with whether or not I was truly happy. "I think your results are here," I whispered to him.

He nodded, turning to look at Stephanie. "What do you think, sis?"

She softly laughed. "I hope they're here."

"Me too," and he looked up at his doctor, who was still widely grinning at all of us.

"Wait," I gasped, the whole room staring at me. "Why are you smiling so much?"

Alex's eyes widened. "Yeah..." his voice trailed off, almost like he was going into a state of shock.

"Please, oh please," Stephanie muttered, folding her hands together and staring up at the ceiling.

"Well. Alexander," Dr. Carter said, stepping a few feet closer to us.

"Yeah?" Alex said, in a gasp.

"Your blood work came back," he hesitated, holding the clip board out in front of him. "Negative for any cancer cells. Congratulations Alexander, you're into what I like to call a beginning of remission."

"Oh my god!" Stephanie shouted, squeezing Alexander's body, his face completely emotionless.

"What?" I laughed, smiling so widely that it hurt my gums. "Are you serious?"

Dr. carter quickly nodded. "Yes," he proudly answered.

I looked into Alex's watery eyes, noticing how surprised he was with the news. "Alex," I whispered, holding his face so he would look at me.

His lips parted, but he couldn't speak.

"Did you hear what the doctor said?" I smiled, seeing Stephanie jump off the hospital bed and darting over to him.

She wrapped her arms around Dr. Carter's waist, sounding like she was going to burst into tears. "Oh thank you, so much!" she exclaimed, his face dropping, almost like he never had one of his patient's siblings thank him before.

"You're... you're extremely welcome," he quietly spoke, her still not letting him go.

"You're like an angel," she laughed, stepping back and covering her flushed cheeks with her hands.