33. Make me

You're welcome for the very, (and I mean very) short wait!

Enjoy!

Thirteen's POV

He catches my fist in his hand and twists my arm behind my back, pinning it in place. I swing my other arm back my elbow going into his stomach and he loosens his grip on me long enough for me to turn around and kick him backward in the chest.

He wastes no time in getting back on his feet and coming at me again. He swings his leg up and I block it, pushing it back down as he swings his fist at me and nails me in the side of the head.

I fall back against the wall and he pulls his fist back. I dodge and his fist makes contact with the wall, I trip him onto the floor and he grabs hold of my ankle, pulling me down with him.

I roll to the side as his arm swings out, grabbing it in the process and pinning it behind his back, my knee moves into the back of his neck, holding him in place.

His free arm grabs hold of my arm and pulls me off him, pinning me beneath him, I bring my knee up into his stomach and shove him off me before slamming his head into the floor and successfully pin him down.

I get to my feet and hold my hand out to him, he eyes it warily before finally taking it and allowing me to help him to his feet, glaring at me the entire time.

He stomps out of the room.

Cody eyes me. "What exactly did you say to him?" He questions.

"Nothing," I reply and quickly depart from the room, looking for Devin. I find him sitting by the pool.

"Why?" I ask as soon as I'm close enough.

"Why what?" He snaps.

"Why are you holding back?" I cross my arms over my chest as I take another step towards him. "Why are you pretending to be the worst agent on the team?"

"It's none of your business." He turns away from me and stares at the water. "Why'd you say that?" He asks after a moment of silence.

"A couple reasons." I shrug. "One of them was because I wanted you to stop holding back."

He scoffs. "And the other?"

"I wanted to see how you'd react."

"You mean if I'd admit it."

"Basically, yes." I take a seat next to him.

"How'd you know about my father?" He questions quietly.

"I pieced it together," I respond. "That really shouldn't come as a surprise to you."

He lets out a sigh. "It doesn't, I just thought it'd take you longer. I thought I'd have more time."

"Nobody ever has time. So why?"

"I didn't want my status to get me any special treatment. I wanted to get there on my own, and I hate the attention."

"You're easily better Chase, so why not take the leader position?"

"I'm not a leader, I don't want to be a leader."

"Then why settle for the worst on the team when you're clearly the best?"

He shrugs, "I just..." He pauses as if lost in thought. "I don't want to be the best."

"Why not?" I press.

"Because I don't want to turn into my dad."

I scoff. "Believe me you could never turn into your dad, he's...a real piece of work."