50

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 50: Warzone

{D. K}

        It was Dakota King who suggested they move to a place closer to the Grill and to attack in waves. Connor was a professional, meaning he had skill and strategies that he had been taught since he was able to walk, and Dakota would be damned if she died by the hands of a hunter.

         Damon took her ideas into consideration, pulling out a map of Mystic Falls that belonged to Alaric, who's apartment they were resided in since it overlooked the Grill. "What's that?"

          "A map of Mystic Falls' Underground Railroad."

          Elena brushed her hair behind her ear, dark brown eyes drinking in the creme map with dark onyx ink marking the page. "Like the Lockwood cellar."

          Damon only nods, mind working a mile-a-minute to find a way inside and kill the hunter. He took a quick picture, only averting his gaze from the map when Elena's phone rang. "What did you find out?"

          "I can only make out the voices." Stefan admits, his voice emitting from the speakerphone. From where Dakota stood, she could see Stefan lurking across the sidewalk adjacent to the Grill, calculating a plan that didn't have any casualties.

          "How many hostages?"

          "Three. But, Elena, it's Matt and April Young."

          Dakota groaned, familiar with the name. "Pastors daughter? The witches despised him, and I hated April as a toddler."

          "You knew April?"

          "This isn't the first time I've been in Mystic Falls, I visit from time to time and I have to blend in."

          Damon rolled his eyes, still stuck on who was being held hostage, and less tuned into the backstory Elena was prying from Dakota. "They're danger magnets."

          "We have to get them out of there."

          "We will," Stefan assured to his girlfriend over the phone. "—I just need a little more time."

          "Clocks ticking, brother."

          Elena ended the call, newfound determination clear on her stance. "I'm going in the tunnels."

          Damon seemed stunned by her declaration, barely reacting quickly enough to stop her as she marched past him, her feet set on going out the door. "No, you're not. This guy doesn't know you're a vampire. So, let's keep it that way."

           "Well maybe that's it. I can offer to trade myself in exchange for the hostages."

           "With what value do you hold Elena?" Dakota asks, genuinely curious rather than rude, a tone that went absent from her voice for the first time while speaking with the teenager. "What makes your single life more important than three others?"