Chapter Two: Rolling Thunder

~ You're such a hard act for me to follow... ~

Chapter Two: Rolling Thunder

I took a deep breath, before dialing his number and pressing the phone to my ear. To my surprise, it only rang three times before he picked up.

"Hey baby," Max's voice laughed. "I was starting to worry that you weren't gonna call."

I smiled slightly. "I wouldn't do that to you," I assured, playing with the hem of my shirt. Max chuckled, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

"How's your ankle?" he asked, his voice suddenly concerned. I pushed my hair out of my face, crossing my legs and making myself more comfortable.

"It's a lot better," I said. "I'm up on my feet, walking, working, all that great stuff."

Max laughed. "I'm glad," he told me genuinely. "So what can I do for you, Simmy?" he asked, his voice easy in my ears. I ran my fingers along Storm's slick gray fur, kissing his nose where he sat on my lap.

"I figured out the night Lucas can take my shift," I told him. "That is, if you still want me to come over to your place."

I could practically hear the grin in Max's voice. "Of course I do!" he laughed. "I've really been looking forward to it, baby."

I couldn't help my smile, watching Storm make himself comfortable on my stomach where I laid on the couch. "Well, unfortunately the only night I'm able to do it this week is tomorrow night," I told him. "Is that okay with you? If not we can do it next week."

Max laughed again, and my stomach turned at the sound. "I can't wait that long," he told me, and I swear I could hear a flirty edge to his voice. "The sooner, the better. Tomorrow's perfect, Symphony."

I felt my heart flutter. "Alright," I laughed. "What time do you want me to come over?"

I heard a soft 'hmm...' as Max thought, making me chuckle softly. "Five," he decided. "That way you can keep me company while I cook and we can hang out for a while," he told me. "Oh," he said. "That reminds me. Are you allergic or totally opposed to any certain food?"

I nodded, though he couldn't see it. "I'm allergic to saffron and avocado that I'm aware of," I told him. "If I'm allergic to anything else I don't know of it."

Max chuckled. "Alright," he said. "I have to decided what I'll make..." he paused, thinking. "What do you think of a nice grilled chicken breast and some really good salad?"

I smiled, feeling Storm purring contently. "Sounds amazing," I told him. "I can't wait."

I sensed his smile. "Me neither," Max said. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

I nodded. "I'll see you," I said. "Bye, Max."

He chuckled. "Bye, baby."

I hung up, setting my phone on the coffee table as I heard my front door unlock and swing open. I didn't bother looking back, keeping my eyes on Storm as I greeted Lucas.

"Hey, loser," I called. My best friend walked in and smiled at me, leaning over and kissing my forehead.

"Hey, sweetie," he laughed. "How come you're so smiley?"

I grinned and shrugged, watching Lucas move to sit beside me on the couch. "No reason in particular," I told him, setting Storm down on the floor and sitting up. Lucas just smirked at me, flicking his dark hair out of his striking blue eyes.

"You're such a liar, sweetie," my best friend laughed. "You just got off the phone with Max, didn't you?"

I frowned, feeling myself turn a bright red. "So what?" I asked, whacking Lucas in the chest. "What does that have anything to do with anything?"