Chapter 4

Izzy POV

Izzy had one of those feelings; you know those 'your life is never going to be the same' tingles that start in the bottom of your stomach before slowly worming its way up your spine, climbing until the hair on your neck is standing up and your eyes are darting around wildly. Of course my life is never going to be the same, she thought glumly to herself as she took her first steps beyond the confines of her cell in the last two months. I'm going to die, that tends to leave permanent and lasting effects on one's life.

Kevin lead her into a cement hall, metal doors like the one that sealed her in for so many weeks, marching down both sides like rows of evenly spaced teeth. Izzy shuddered at the sight, her eyes darting to the floor, unable to look at them without imaging the faces of the pitiful souls destined to live out their last days beaten, abused, and forgotten behind them. Risking a glance up at her escort, Izzy found that Kevin barely paid the metal doors a seconds' notice, not even when muffled cries and screams made their way out did he seem interested in what or who was trapped behind. They really are monsters.

The prison was smaller than Izzy had expected, and before she knew it, Kevin was stopping before yet another heavy thick door. Before she could take note of how he did it, the lock was tumbling open and a hiss of air was being released.

The house was elegant in its extravagance, understated, but with enough hints of sophistication and lavishness that it gave the distinct impression of wealth, power and civility. Of course the row of cells holding prisoners underneath the floor took away from the splendor and awe as Izzy followed Kevin down the modern designed halls, past the rooms with soaring ceilings, plush furniture and gleaming floors. The pure cleanliness, the comfort and level of refinement she caught glimpses of in each, left her head spinning. This was where these monsters lived? They lived here?!

Stopping before two enormous darkly stained wooden doors, Izzy felt a bead of perspiration break out on her upper lip, without giving her anytime to adjust Kevin's knuckles were rapping against the wooden surface.

"Come in." The voice was deep, like the others she had heard, but unlike those this one held power. An authority that even Izzy could pick out. Similar to when that other monster in the woods had spoken, then to she had felt power wash over her with his words, freezing her movements, forcing her obedience, leaving her feeling powerless. This was like that, only stronger, she could feel the urge to obey itching at her muscles, forcing them forward.

He sat behind a large desk, the surface covered with stacks of papers, the lamp crammed in the corner was off and the only light illuminating his face coming from the dim blue glow of the laptop screen.

"This is her?" The man addressed Kevin who, when she apparently hadn't been moving fast enough, had dragged and then pushed her into the center of the room. Stumbling she had caught herself just before face planting onto the thick richly patterned carpet, with a scowl she tucked her hands into her sides turning to glare at him. Kevin closed the doors behind them securely, stationing himself in front of them and cutting off her escape route, while pointedly ignoring her dark look. "Yes, Alpha."

"She's barely older then a pup." The alpha continued, brown eyes scrutinizing her, taking in the layers of grim and filth. "How old are you?" He asked, at last addressing her directly.

Izzy considered not answering him, but then didn't see how it would help her any, and really what would it matter anymore if she answered their questions or not?

"18. I'm 18."

The man's mouth tightened into a hard line, his lips pressing tightly until the colour drained. "What's your name?" His voice was softer when he spoke this time, it was still gruff but he sounded almost – sad? Why would he be sad? Maybe he's mad? Izzy mulled. Yeah that makes more sense, after all I know the truth about him. "Uh - well my name's Madeline. Madeline Rohner."