Sentimentality

I was whistling, my hands in my pockets. I was listening to Hammer Time on my iPod and I was having a hard time stopping myself from bursting out into a dance. I meant I knew I was walking on the street, but sometimes you just felt that beat in your bones. My head started to bob to the beat and I started to clap my hands, as if I was in High School Musical or something. I couldn't dance and stuff but who cared? Like who even knew me right now? I could just move my feet a little...

There were hands around my shoulders and I was being dragged back. I let out a yelp and struggled against the hands but the guy behind me was far stronger than I. He was tugging me so hard that I lost my balance. He hooked his arms under my armpits and pulled me down the street, toward a dark alleyway. I looked at people for help, but they were simply smiling at me as if it were all a big joke or something.

We arrived in the narrow alleyway and my captor released his grip on me. I stumbled awkwardly to my feet and then promptly spun round, my brow furrowed in detirmination and my fists high in the air. I wasn't going down without a fight. Then, of course, I saw the handsome face of my kidnapper and my fists dropped to my side.

"Cam, what the hell?" I snapped.

"Hey, what's with the cranky attitude?" he responded.

"I thought someone was going to kidnap me!" I yelled, putting a hand over my racing heart and still feeling the buzz of adrenaline.

Cam burst out laughing, "and you were going to fight them? Oh my god, are you suicidal? You can't even open a jar of pickles by yourself."

I scowled and turned off my music. Cam leaned back against the wall suddenly, a tiredness settling into his face. In fact I had noticed that he was far less... vibrant than usually. In fact, he had been kind of... sad? Immediately I was ridden with guilt. I should have asked earlier, but yesterday with Ace... I pushed the thought out of my mind. Cam was far more important than a kiss right now.

"Hey, Cam, what´s up?" I asked softly, walking toward him.

"I autographed some girls bra today," he whispered, his eyes wide and fearful.

I smiled at him. C'mon, wasn't that every guys dream? To have women throw themselves at them? Cam was on a rollercoaster heading up, up, up. His fame was gaining by the minute. Pictures of him on tumblr had thousands and thousands of notes. He'd been asked to do an inteview the other day about modelling. Surely, that couldn't be what was wrong?

"I... just... I'm freaked out. When I walk in to a room, some people point at me. All these girls keep on messaging me and Lee is getting mad, and I got paid more than a Thousand dollars for my last shoot!"

I bit my lip, processing the information. Maybe fame was more overwhelming than I had anticipated. More than a Thousand dollars... shoot that was a lot! I was expecting a nice Christmas present this year. I'd have to see what I wanted... I pursed my lips and thought for a moment. Maybe some shoes... god knew I needed a new pair. I'd blown for this month by the plane ticket and the dinner... I was completely broke. I had paid the rent in advance thank god, but my nicer pair of shoes had broke the other day and I couldn't afford a new pair.

"Serena!" Cam barked, "did you even listen to me?"

I looked at him, my eyebrows raised. "Sure, hon. Lee will be fine, you know what she's like. And I think every person goes through this bit when they get famous. I mean you're getting rich and recognition. What on earth is not to like?"

I patted his arm and I was about to continue on my way home. I wanted to talk to Ace and then maybe email Zac. Plus it was my turn to cook and I didn't even know what we had in house to eat. I definitely couldn't afford to order something right now . Perhaps chicken drumsticks with some potatoes and salad. That was good on the taste buds right?