Chapter 23 - Memories

"So... There's no magic to use for house chores?" 

Bunny looked up from the dishes he was washing and smiled. "None that I've found." 

You slipped from the stool and walked towards your room to grab a new book. Bunny left the sink of dishes and stopped you near the doorway. 

He put his hands on your shoulders and leaned in to kiss you. You wrapped your arms around his neck and let him pull you towards him. As your lips pressed against his, he pressed you against the wall. His fingers moved across your skin, creating a tingling sensation. You could feel your heart pounding as he tilted his head to kiss you deeper. 

"We should... Go to North's soon..." you said between his kisses. "They might be... Worried." 

"Hm" was all he replied with, his lips not leaving yours. The blood roared in your ears, making your fingers tighten around his neck. His hands slid down the front of your body and came to rest on your stomach. The corner of his mouth tilted upwards, and the way he looked at you made you realize that you didn't need his words to know that he loved you. 

"What were you saying about North?" he asked, almost sleepily. 

You laughed lightly and rested your head on his chest. He held you close, his breath swirling around your cheeks. With a quiet sigh, you closed your arms and imagined what it would be like if North had never found you. Thinking about it, the memories of the first time you'd met North, dressed as a normal, mortal man, came flooding back. Thoughts of Sandy, Jack, Tooth, and Bunny crashed into your mind, reminding you of where you could've been had they not found you. Was it possible that you had just recently found the life that you'd only read about until then? Through tribulations, you'd made it to the best place you could, but you never could've imagined that this was what you'd been missing out on. 

"Little mate?" Bunny said. 

You realized that you had started crying. Bunny pulled away and looked down at you, his eyes wide. 

"What's wrong?" he asked. 

You shook your head and pulled him back to you, clinging to him as if he would be torn away from your grip. You didn't want to imagine your life without Bunny, but suddenly it was all you could think about. He lifted you from the ground and carried you to his room, where you sat on the bed and tried to bring yourself back under control. He held you tightly, never once moving. 

"I don't want to loose you, Bunny," you whispered finally. 

He kissed the top of your head. "You won't. I promise." 

After a moment, Bunny stood and walked to his dresser. He opened the top drawer, rummaged through some stuff, then pulled out a golden tube adorned with multi-colored gemstones. He turned back and handed them to you. 

"These are yours," he said. 

"What are they?" you asked. 

"Memories," he replied. "I asked Tooth for them when you first came here. I guess it was wrong to take them, so I never finished looking at them." 

You turned the golden tube over in your hands. "Why are you giving them to me now?" 

"I thought you should have them. They do belong to you." 

"I don't want to remember," you whispered, handing them back to him. 

He looked down at you, taking them gingerly in his hand. "May I?" 

You stared at his emerald eyes. You weren't sure if you wanted him to know - not yet - but your mind went back to when he told you about his past, and how he'd let you in on the secret of his shapeshifting. Slowly, you nodded.