Chapter 13

Janie's POV

With head pounding, and world spinning, I opened my eyes, which seemed to be glued shut from sleep and tears. My mind was clouded, but one thought protruded in my head.

Leave.

My breathing was erratic, and my body twisted in the bed sheets, the smell of Brendan filling my nose. I tumbled out of the bed, stumbling as I tried to gain my balance back. All I could think of as I made my way towards the door was the face of Caroline staring back at me, a sneer ever present on her face as she looked on to the two men strangling me. The image was and forever will be imprinted in my mind.

Thankfully, when I twisted the knob, the door slowly creaked open. Breathing a sigh of relief, I made my way towards what I thought would be a staircase, but was met with another door. Where in the world was I? For what seemed like an hour, I wandered the same hallway, just looking for a way to get out. What house doesn't have a staircase?

This fvcking one.

Sighing once more, I treaded carefully, peeking my way through all the doors, hoping one lead to the exit. The first one I opened seemed to be a little girl's bedroom, and the next one I opened seemed to be an entertainment room. Hoping third luck was the charm, I creaked the door open and almost fell back when I saw my mate sleeping on the bed. He seemed to be wearing nothing but boxers, at least I hoped he was wearing that much.

One thing was for sure, his shirt never needed to be on ever again. I shook my head, surprised at the dirty thoughts that entered my mind. Gulping, I slowly tiptoed my way out, and when I thought I was in the clear, I heard his voice coming from the other side of the wall.

I was busted. Hanging my head in shame, I crept towards his voice and gulped visibly. He patted a spot beside him, and I blushed. He wasn't wearing any real clothes! Never. Accepting my silence as a response, he leapt off the bed with a thump, and I looked away, trying to maintain some of my modesty. Almost as feeling my discomfort, he walked into a closet and put low hanging sweats on. My eyes trailed lower and lower until I had to squeeze them shut to keep them from traveling to their destination

"Better?" My cheeks flamed. His smile only seemed to stretch wider the more red my face became. Nodding in embarrassment, I brushed passed his held out hand and made my way towards the bed, seeing no other way to get out of this. I flinched away when he reached to put a piece of fallen hair behind my ear. When he realized what he was doing, he instantly retracted his hand, but looking at me like I had three heads.

Something flashed behind his clear eyes, but it was quickly covered by another smile at me. The crinkle in his eyes said how sorry he was. I could feel his pain inside of me already, and I had only known him for a few days. The bond between us was already stronger than I had wanted, it will only make it harder to leave him and his pack, which I was sure to fall in love with if I actually met any of them.

I was lost in own world, once again, and I didn't realize Brendan had already left the room, leaving me to chase after him. I was not going to be stuck in this maze of a house again. My feet lightly padded the floor as I made great efforts to keep up with his long gait. Before I knew it, he turned to the door right beside the one I was first in. Inside was none other than a cascading set of stairs, moving to what looked like a grand foyer. Light was shining through, and I desperately wanted to be outside once again.

The feel of the lush grass between my toes was something I wanted to always feel. Being locked away from nature and society really put small things in such a weird perspective for me. Ever since I woke up, all I had been wanting to do is look at the shape the clouds were today, and what color the sky was in the few seconds between the sun setting and night.

Clutching the railing as I followed Brendan, I slowly made my descent down, my legs shaking the entire way. Although it had been days, my body still was not use to all of the damages that had been caused in the past. I guess this fatigue was a way for my body to catch up with my mind.

At the last few stairs, my legs completely came out from under me, and before I could tumble down the last few marble steps, hands grabbed waist from infront of me, and the tingles and sparks I had become so accustomed to weren't there this time. Yelping, I wretched myself out of this person's grasp, or tried to anyway. These hands kept a firm hold on me, and it wasn't until I heard a deep growl that they let go. Bringing myself to look up, my mate had steam coming out of his ears while trying to keep his feelings in check.

His face was set in a deep scowl and you could see the sneer that wanted to rip through his thinly pressed together lips. His eyes flashed, showing his wolf was trying to take control. Not knowing what to do, I made my way back upstairs, wanting to be back in bed again.

The unknown man took a top forward and his ginger hair and brown eyes shown in the light through the window. He was largely built, and a few tattoos swirled around his forearms, no doubt trying to draw attention to that particular area. His aura held something powerful, but there was a hint of compliance underneath all of the strength. His head dipped lightly towards my mate, and that did little to calm him.

The audacity in his voice was clear when he spoke. "You dare touch what is mine, Courtis? Move away from her, and never, under any circumstances, touch her again. She is your Luna, and I will not tolerate this inappropriate behavior towards my mate." He waved his hand in the air with a flicking motion, almost as if shooing away a bug. "Get out of here before I let Auler run free." You could visibly see the color drain from his freckled led covered face. He dashed out oft he room from a door behind me one I had been eyeing ever since we got down here. The door handle was just calling my name.

Reaching my hand behind me, I fumbled blindly for the lock, wanting to follow in suit of this man named Courtis, trying to escape in this madness. I didn't even have to go far, just far enough away where these people wouldn't fine me. Ever. 

It's too bad I wasn't as sneaky as I thought.

The look in his eyes blazed when he saw me wanting to leave. Something changed in him, and for a second I was scared. Could this end the same way it did back at home?

I wasn't going to stick around long enough to find out.
***
my Ezria ship has now set sail once again.
I feel like that is all that is need to be said.
-neary17