Ch•17- Thank You

A/N : I posted a new story, a Bat-man's daughter/ Jason Todd story. Check it out if you're interested :D

     "Your services are no longer required" Obadiah's voice was low as he raised his arm up. Some sort of gun type weapon assembled up on to his fist. His bright eyes stared directly at us. I gripped Peppers arm, my eyes widened with utter fear. Pepper shrieked and stumbled back, keeping me beside her.

    "HEEEYYYY!" A distant voice hollered from above. Pepper and I turned our heads up to the sky to see what was approaching. A smaller and slimmer Iron Man suit fell from the sky, ramming right in to Obadiah. I covered my face with my arms to protect me from any flying debris. Obadiah was forced back down through the hole that he created in the parking lot. The two Iron figures completely disappeared in the asphalt and fell out of sight.

    "Dad!" I shouted, running towards the hole that was cracking the pavement. I looked down to try and see what was going on but it was too dark.

     Pepper stood behind me, she was running her hands through her ginger hair in panic. Sweat poured from her face and she couldn't stop pacing "Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God!"

    "Pepper! It's okay, Dad saved us!" I hugged her "We're safe now! We're-" I was cut off by a loud engine roar coming from across the parking lot. Pepper and I turned our heads slowly towards the road were Obadiah was flying in the air. His suit was rising higher and higher into the black sky, following after Dad in his suit. My mouth was slack "Well, I think we're safe..."

    "What is going on? Why are they flying up?!" Pepper started to freak out again. I racked my brain for answers. Dad once told me that if he flies too high, the suit will begin to ice up from the low temperature of the atmosphere. Maybe that's what he's trying to do with Obadiah. Dad fixed the icing problem on his suit, but Obadiah more than likely didn't. He's trying to freeze the old man. My Dad is a genius!!

"Potts" Dad called from Pepper's ear piece communicator a few moments later.

"Tony" Pepper replied "Oh my God, are you okay?"

    "What's happening?!" I asked, jumping into the conversation. I pressed myself against Pepper and stood on my tippy toes, trying to hear the conversation.

"I'm alright, I'm almost out of power. I got to get out of this thing, I'll be right there"

     Pepper sighed, relief flooded through her "Tony's coming, he'll be here soon" I nodded, wanting for all of this to be over. Not too long ago, I thought that Dad was dead, never to breathe another breath. Now, he's here protecting us. It looks like I will be able to tell him how I feel about him. He'll soon know that I couldn't be more proud to call him my Father.

"Potts"

"Tony?" Pepper asked as Tony called from her ear piece once more.

"This isn't working. We're gonna have to overload the reactor and blast the roof"

    I frantically looked to Pepper as he spoke. What does he mean? Is Obadiah still alive after freezing? "How are you going to do that?" Pepper looked to me as she talked to him

    "Your gonna do it. Go to the central console, open up all the circuits. When I clear the roof I'll let you know and you're gonna hit
the master bypass button. That's gonna fry everything up here"

     "Okay, I am going in now" Pepper started walking to the door of Stark Industries that was behind us. The glass from the buildings windows had been blown away. Her heels crushed the shards of glass beneath her "Stay there Jessi, don't move" she looked back to me, holding her hand back towards me

"But-"

"No Buts!" She snapped and continued to leave me.

    I was alone again, and standing outside of the tattered building that once stood tall and sturdy. Pepper disappeared into the building, but her voice could still be heard from out here. I lifted my head up to the sky, wondering what was going on up on the roof. Was Dad fighting Obadiah right now?

    I clasped my hands together and placed them on my chin "please please please don't leave me again" I whispered "you left me nine years ago, you left me two hours ago... don't leave again"
As I was praying the ground started to shake similar to an earthquake, causing me to stumble around. Pepper was shutting the reactor down and getting ready to destroy it. I ran to the door for a better look.

    "You told me not to!" I heard Pepper yell. She was looking up to the roof where Dad could be seen dangling from the bars. I ran across the room to where she was standing. She looked at me with panic, but surprisingly didn't tell me to get out of here.

"Just do it!" (A/N : not even I can resist a Shia Labeouf reference)

"You'll die!"

    "Pepper!" I gripped her arm "he's trying to save us! He's trying to save everyone! Even if it means giving up his own life" I felt the tears form in my eyes, but I didn't move to wipe them away. I let them fall down my cheeks.

     "Push it!" Dad yelled once more. I extended my hand to the red button on the control panel. Around me, sparks were flying, the reactor was over heating and the building was falling apart. I looked up to Dad who was still dangling. Glass was falling along my face but I didn't care "thank you..." I smiled softly "for everything" and then I slammed the button.

                                     ***

    "He's up here!" Phil called to inform us. Pepper, the remaining agents and I stood in the stairwell of what was left of Stark Industries, the stairwell that led to the roof. I instantly pushed past everyone to get to the roof. Phil moved out of the way to let me pass.
I emerged onto the roof. My stomach dropped to my feet when I saw him there. He laid underneath some of the rubble on his back. His body wasn't moving.

     I dropped down to my knees beside him. Pepper cried against Phil's shoulder. I placed my hand cautiously on Dad's chest which was covered with the suit "you gave up everything for us" I choked "for me". His eyes were shut, never to open again. My father was gone "I know... I know that towards the end, you were trying to be a good man to me. I saw it, a little bit every day" I lightly pressed my palm to his tan cheek, still feeling the warmth of his body

    "I wish I could have told you that I loved you Dad" tears were pouring from my eyes now as I spoke. A deep, painful ache wrapped around my heart, making me feel physically sick "There were so many times I could have... but I chickened out because I didn't know how you would react" my voice became tight in my sore throat "I know that I can't tell you in person, so I'm telling you now... I love you... I loved you"

     That's when a dull glow started to brighten up my face. I opened my blurry eyes to see the circle of light on his suit begin to start up again. The light was returning. That means he was still alive, and also that means my heart isn't broken.