Chapter 38 - Future Wife

To @november1567, for being one of the most involved and active commenters on this book.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~ CHAPTER 38 - FUTURE WIFE ~~~

Nigel ended his vacation and went back to the capital. When he left The Fields, I was thankful since nobody was bothering me anymore. I was able to concentrate more on taking care of mom.

I also had time to be with Elena and Diego and learned more about their love story. It was funny when they just started out as girlfriend and boyfriend. Elena said the both of them were just attending some university affair and they ended up making out that night. That was how they became a couple. I was giggling the whole time Elena was telling me about it.

I could actually picture out the lovestruck face of Diego... I just knew how his face looked like when he was in love.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

The following week, I asked Mommy Carol's permission to go back to the South. Though she wanted me to stay, she finally let me go. It hurt so much to leave her one more time but I promised her that I'd be visiting her when I'd have time.

Life in the southern city continued and I still had to balance my time between my work at the cake shop and my volunteer work at the orphanage. Nevertheless, I felt like I was able to manage it properly. There were just times though that I was overcome with nostalgia everytime I remembered mom or The Fields...

Javier always saw to it to visit me once in two weeks. We still dated and he was a great suitor, very consistent with his wooing. You wouldn't ask for more. He never gave me a pain in the head. He was always very sweet, thoughful, and understanding --- the kind of guy that any girl would wish to have.

Weeks had passed and I never saw Nigel again. News and articles about him on TV, daily papers and magazines were very scarce. It was really true that he was distancing himself from the media.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I was preparing for my late supper one Thursday evening, actually the eve of my twenty-first birthday, when I heard the ringing of the bell of my apartment door. Thinking that it was one of the cake shop employees who might have done some errands for Mrs. Riviera, I went out of the kitchen and went to the living room to open the door.

What did Mrs. Riviera want from me?

I had the most unprepared reaction when I finally opened it. It was like seeing a ghost in the middle of the night.

I wanted to scream in horror but my mouth wouldn't produce any sound... for my brain immediately corrected me that what I was seeing at the very moment was never a ghost or any terrible creature, but instead, I was facing, in my heart's opinion, the sexiest and most handsome man on the planet.

There came a lump in my throat and some funny movements in the pit of my stomach. How could he just appear like that after I thought about him just now while I was cooking in the kitchen? How could you disregard a thought about a Sarmiento in the kitchen when most of the kitchen goods were labelled with that family name? Did he happen to have mutant powers already and he detected what was going on in my mind and so he teleported straight from the capital to my doorstep?

"Hi," he greeted me.

I looked at my wristwatch and learned that it was almost nine o'clock! Thinking that I was just imagining, I blinked my eyes with the hope that when I stopped blinking them, he would vanish right off.

Yet when I stopped, he was still there... in business suit? Seriously?

His hair had been messed up. His jaw was unshaved. His eyes were sluggish like he needed some sleep, like he didn't have any sleep during the past days. Still, with all those needs, he was oozing with so much... yeah... sex appeal... No doubt about that.