Chapter 8

The One Where Everybody Is Crying

(A/N: beware! angsty shit up ahead!)

John's POV

You know, most people would be a tad alarmed to find their best friends and their boyfriend burning up letters in their dorm whilst one is crying and one is cutting them out of pictures. Not me.

We invited Mulligan over for moral support. "Hey I got the icecream. I didn't know what you wanted so I got chocolate, vanilla, Phish food even though that's basically for me, cookie dough, rocky road, strawberry, and that weird sherbert shit. It won't fit in the freezer but it's freezing outside so it'll be-"

"John can you shut up we're trying to burn all of the traces of the bitch who broke his heart." He went and grabbed a turtle pillow pet that had a card saying 'To: Laf. My love.' He was about to light it when I yelled "Stop!"

They looked at me, and Lafayette wasn't crying anymore so that's good. "First of all, highly flammable. Second, if you're burning it, why don't you just give it to someone... who likes turtles... and-"

"Laurens you can have the damn turtle." Said Lafayette while taking at tub of icecream.

We decided to watch 'Mean Girls' in French because it was Lafayette's favorite American movie, and I was highly confused but Alex and Lafayette seemed to be enjoying it.

Alexander's POV

"Alex!!" I heard as Eliza kicked my door open. "Jesus Christ!" We all yelled. We invited Mulligan over for moral support.

"Peggy decked Burr in the face for being a disgusting piece of shit and now she's upset." "Alright!" I said holding up my hand for a high five, but then she started sobbing.

"Not a high five moment?" I said confused. "Oh no, it is. She's just upset because she thinks that she shouldn't have hurt him."

"Girl please, he's a dick. I have a list of 5 months of disagreements I've had with that man." She stopped crying.

"T-thanks. I needed that." "By the way, where did you hit him?" "In the jaw..."

"That's my girl!" I exclaimed, making Angelica laugh. Normally it would be weird, but Peggy was basically our little sister who we all protected.

I pulled her aside while the group asked Lafayette what happened. "And he didn't hurt you at all, right?"

"N-no." I looked at her. "You sure about that?" "Yes! Well, I mean he grabbed my arm and told me I had an ass like Kim K but-" "Wait, what?!"

"W-well he said it was a compliment though..." I sighed.

Peggy was so trusting, so innocent, so kind... And Burr was so manipulative, so deceiving, so... "A-are you okay? Your face is turning red... You're uh- kinda scaring me."

"Yeah...Yeah I'll be back in a minute." I said, grabbing my jacket and heading out.

"Hey!" I yelled, walking up to Burr. He seemed fine despite the slight bruise on his cheek.

"Oh. Uh-uh Alexander! How are y-" "Okay, cut the crap. What makes you think it's okay to talk to Peggy like that?"

He looked genuinely surprised, then he laughed. "It's not my fault that bitch can't take a compliment." He said, and I moved closer to him.

"I thought we were friends!" He said, almost humorously. "You're a disgusting human." He smirked. "Hey... I'm chasing after what I want. And you know what?"

"What." I spoke from gritted teeth. "I learned that from you." That's it. I punched him in the nose, and he dropped to the ground and started crying.

To be honest, I have absolutely no sympathy for him right now. "Women aren't objects for you to want. Bye."

I stepped in the front door, and it was a sea of yelling and arguments. Lafayette was crying, Hercules was trying to comfort him, it was a mess.

Everyone acknowledged I was here, but didn't care. My phone started ringing.

John's POV

After Alex left, we all got angry about different things at the same time and decided to argue. To be honest, he would love this.

I looked over in the corner, and he was on the phone. "EVERYBODY SHUT UP FOR A SECOND!" He screamed, and we were all silent. I wasn't used to him being so angry.

Not the cute, annoyed, flustered angry. He closed his eyes. "Y-yes. Thanks for c-calling me."

His voice was cracking like before you cry, but he didn't. "S-sorry about that. I'll... I'll be right back." He calmly walked outside. We all looked at eachother, then I ran out to the bathroom, where I assumed he was.

I knocked on the stall. "Go away John." Well, atleast he's in there. "Let me in. Please."

"No. Just go. I'll be fine." He sounded different than he normally did, and I was getting worried, so I pulled an Eliza. I kicked open the door.

He looked terrible. I don't know how he could go from how he normally looked to his current state, but he did. His eyes were glossy, like he was about to cry, but he didn't.

His hair was also messed up. I sat down next to him and closed the door. I put my arm around him, but he moved away. "Alexander... Please."

Hamilton's POV

He called me Alexander. He never did that before. I started sobbing into his shoulder.

After a minute he looked at me. "Are you ready to tell me now?" I nodded. My throat was dry.

"My cousin... My cousin just committed suicide." "Oh Alex... I'm so sorry." "No, wait. It's not just that... He was the person who took care of me after-" he looked confused.

I sighed. He nodded cautiously, and I sighed. "I'm an orphan. Like, full on Disney princess orphan. When I was 14 I moved in with my cousin. He basically raised me. He actually saved me from a hurricane once, but that's not the point... It's just like... I lost the last person in my family." I couldn't quite tell what John was thinking.

    "I just feel like... If I stayed there... I c-could have- I could have s-saved him." I was holding back tears.

"It's okay. You can cry." Whispered John, and I started sobbing into his shoulder again. "It's okay... It's okay... Let it out. It's not your fault. It's not your fault." He said, and we stayed there for a while.

And for the first time in six years, Alex cried.