Chapter 16: Gingerbread Men and Taking Risk

"Raine sweety will you pass me sugar?" My mom asked wiping the flour on her face with the back of her wrist. I smiled handing her the bag before dipping my finger into the dough and popping it into her mouth, my mom scoffed at my bad manners and softly hit my hand with the spoon. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you-"

"Yes mom, I am familiar with Matthew 7:7, and I apologize for not asking first." I smiled using the cookie cutter to cut sweet little gingerbread men into the dough. Christmas was only a week away and we had to get 3 gingerbread houses finish plus 4 dozen cookies.

"What's up sweetheart, anything new happening in my beautiful daughters life?" My mom smiled putting some cookies into the oven and hitting the timer. "And don't lie and say no either, your brother told me you've been hanging out with that Elijah character."

"Can you not call him a character? You don't know him, you're just fueled by the rumors you've heard and the things daddy has told you. You don't know everything!" I lashed out receiving a shocked stare from my mother, but she didn't get a chance to say anything before my father stomped in voicing his opinion.

"Don't talk to your mother that way Raine, she has alot to think about. You don't want us to have one of our private chats now do you?" He dare, using 'private chats' as a code for beating. I cringed and shook my head as my father grabbed his keys and kissed my moms cheek and the top of my head before heading out for work.

"Now that he's gone, I'd like to know what that was all about? Last time I heard of Elijah your dad told me some girl's were harassing you over him." She sighed taking the cookie cutter from me and sitting me down at the dining room table as she sat next to me.

"It's just, we've become close. I might've... kissed him, is that a sin?" I asked pausing in confusion as my mother laughed.

"Oh sweetheart kissing someone isn't a sin, neither is liking someone your entire family doesn't approve of." She smiled.

"Well, see the thing is. I've been sending him a bunch of mixed signals, I like him but I can't date him because I fear you and dad and God wont really.. approve." I admitted.

"Sweety I approve of whoever you choose to date as long as they make you happy. God created Elijah, so i'm more than sure he's lead you to him for a reason and if you feel the want to date him then God obviously wants you to together in some form or he would've pulled you  apart by now. And I hate to break it to you baby girl but Daddy isn't gonna approve of anyone, other than God himself, to date you." My mom smiled tucking my hair behind my ear and smiling at me sweetly.

"Well what am I supposed to do, he doesn't want to see me again until I figure out what I want. Or as he says 'Learn to think for myself' and I don't know if I can." I sighed looking at my mom softly.

"Sweetheart yes you can, you make your own decisions everyday. You choose to see him, you chose to get to know him, you chose to kiss him. We didn't make those decisions, yes God chose to put him in your life, but sweetheart you chose to keep him there. Now you need to chose what are you gonna do." She frowned.

"I don't know mom, he was so mad at me and I was soo stupid last time we saw each other!" I admitted standing up and taking a deep breath before my mom pulled me back down to the seat.

"Well maybe you've missed your chance, but you'll never know if you don't try now will you?" She smiled before standing to take the cookies out of the oven and placing them into a container. "So what are you gonna do? Stay home with your mother and bake cookies or go find this boy and tell him how you truly feel about him?"

"I promise i'll help you when I get home." I smiled hugging her tightly before grabbing the container and hurrying to change. Carol showed up in 15 minutes to drive me and ask my mom if I could stay over at her house.