Chapter 11: Saving Lives

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' spoilers!

"Fury?" I said, rushing over to the bed that he was lying on to hug him, tears falling from my eyes. "I thought you were dead."

"That was the point," he said. "They can't kill you if you're already dead. I didn't know who to trust."

I turned away from him and faced the window. "You couldn't trust me?" I asked, hurt.

"Rogue, don't take it personally," Hill said, standing on the opposite side of the room.

"You pretended to be dead. You're one of the most important people in the world to me and you don't think I should take it personally? That's the most personal thing you could do," I said. He knew how important trust was to me.

"Look Rogue, I couldn't tell you. I couldn't tell anyone apart from Hill. If anyone found out I wasn't dead, I would have been killed," Fury reasoned, opening a briefcase that contained three computer chips.

"What's that?" Falcon asked.

"We need to breech the Helicarriers before they reach three thousand feet, replacing their targeting blades with these." He gestured towards the chips. "If they succeed, they'll kill millions of people. By doing this, we'll destroy the Helicarriers themselves, saving lives."

"One or two won't work, we need to link all three Helicarriers for this to be successful, taking out as much of HYDRA as humanly possible," Hill finished, handing a chip each to me, Steve and Falcon.

"What about me?" Nat asked as a doctor came to repair her shoulder wound.

"You're going to be our voice on the inside. You need to disguise yourself as one of the governors. We need to take out Alexander Pierce," Fury replied. I had met Pierce years ago, introduced to him by Fury. I had always thought of him as a good guy, one of the best. The thought that he was now murdering millions of people as part of HYDRA sickened me.

"OK. Let's do this," Nat said.

***

Steve, Falcon and I were running, trying to get to the Helicarriers.

"Hey Cap, how do we know the good guys from the bad?" Falcon asked. As if on cue, bullets began to shower the sky, coming towards us from all angles.

"If they're shooting at us, they're bad," Steve answered as Falcon flew in one direction and Steve jumped down in another. I used a force field to protect myself as I ran towards the first Helicarrier that had yet to take off. I climbed in and looked for the targeting blades, the place where I would insert the chip. I heard a loud bang outside and suddenly, the carrier that I was in began to rise from the ground.

"Damn it," I cursed aloud, finally finding the targeting blades and inserting my chip. "I'm done," I said through my earpiece.

"Great, Rogue, get out of there," Hill said. When we had all inserted our chips, she was going to manually reset them so that they would shoot the carriers themselves rather than civilians. I looked out of the window and saw that the carrier was now too high for me to jump down without injury, and if I did jump down, there were people waiting to ambush me.

"That might be a problem," I said under my breath, smashing out a window. I didn't know if I would be able to concentrate long enough to keep a force field up while falling through the air, but it was a risk that I'd have to take.

I jumped through the window, bracing myself. As I got nearer the ground, I panicked and the force field came down.

"Ahh!" I screamed, landing heavily on my ankle.