Chapter 25

Chapter 25

“For now,” Caine was saying to the Wolves inside the conference room. “I want to make sure we have the area swept. It is better to keep everyone inside territory boundaries.”

Caine’s highest ranking Wolves in the pack were inside that room. His top tracker, along with the leader of the trackers, his top fighter, along with the leader of the fighters, the member in charge of small ordeals or problems in the pack, Victor, Lesley, and Macon were among the Wolves present.

His voice was firm, commanding. I was standing to the side, resting my back against the wall, simply looking between him and the group of Wolves gathered in the room. They were all looking at him intently, taking in each of his words to memory.

Whenever Caine’s eyes landed on me, I was graced with a nice, long glare. He had been angry with me the entire week.

The Wolves in the conference room noticed the tension between us. Caine took a chance to glance at me whenever he could. He was upset with how much I’d fought him to be in the conference room that morning.

When the meeting had started, I could tell Caine was holding back. He had plans, he’d set up the meeting, and he was going to hand out his plans to the group of people in the room.

Once I decided to attend, and Caine wasn’t able to kick me out of the room, he got mad. He started running in circles with his topic, until Victor spoke up, and finally started talking about the problems at hand.

Caine had to start talking and giving out the real information.

Knight Pack claimed they wanted a peace treaty. Derek had left back to his land four days ago. The past week, Caine along with about twenty Wolves from our pack, swept the entire area. They didn’t stop in just the county our land was in. They went even further.

Caine had been absent from home a lot, and when he was around, he was usually distracted. The good thing was— Derek and his Wolves were gone.

Caine thought they left to show an act of faith on their part, so that we could trust them. 

Now, Caine was in the middle of negotiating a date suitable for both him and Tristan, to visit them. He, however, was planning to arrive before the day they agreed on. He would catch them by surprise, throw them off, and give them no time to make ill plans.

I liked his plan. The only problem with it was that he wanted to leave me home.

As soon as Caine wrapped up the meeting, they all wasted no time in clearing up the conference room. It seemed like they couldn’t get out of there fast enough. I understood why. Caine appeared a word away from shifting into his Wolf.

Our honeymoon time was over the moment I brought up my desire to join either the trackers or the fighters of the pack. I was fast, and I was only getting faster. It had been only two weeks since I’d shifted into my Wolf for the first time, but I felt fully energized.

I could run for hours on end without getting tired. I had outrun everyone in the pack, which had been somewhat emasculating for some Wolves, Caine and Victor included.

I wasn’t a great fighter. I was clumpy and weak. Compared to the other guys, I was much smaller. When I realized that, I didn’t argue with Caine. I accepted what I was. I needed training. I’d received so much of it, but it was nothing like the things I used to do when I had been a human. The Wolves trained much harder.

I was starting to understand why I had never been able to keep up with the rest of the Wolves back home, when I was still part of the Knight Pack.

I was a good tracker. The leader of the trackers of Locus Pack, Elijah, had told me so. He’d said I’d make a good tracker, because I was fast and my senses were sharp. I was still considered a pup, and yet I’d managed to outrun the Alpha. The weakness in my build was made up by my speed.