ten - falling (literally)

SATURDAY • MARCH 21, 2015

It was his last day on Earth - that's what Shawn assumed when he suddenly got shoved back, and the girl in front of him pierced her eyes through his skull. Then her eyes averted to her white Vans, where a stain was present.

"What the hell?" she screamed, her voice hearable throughout the entire beach - and most likely the entire planet. Shawn tried to step forward, but she just pushed him back again. "Don't come near me, you asshole! Look what you did!"

"Sofia, it was an accident. I'm-"

She was pacing angrily, avoiding Shawn's desperate eyes. He almost had her lips on his. So close. "You planned this out, didn't you? You were planning to ruin my fucking outfit!"

"Yes, because I so would waste my time doing that." He sarcastically remarked, earning another one of Sofia's signature scowls. He sighed, trudging towards her, but she just backed up each step he took. "Sofia, c'mon, stop overreacting. I didn't see your foot there!"

"Overreacting? You think I'm over- Jesus Christ, I'm such an idiot for actually allowing you to go that close to me!" she began to scold herself, just one step away from the ocean waters. "And you had the audacity to try and kiss me! Well guess what, dick slut, your chances are ruined for the rest of your life - which, by the way, won't be long if I don't get this stain out!"

"It's not that bad..."

"Not that bad?" Sofia scoffed, lifting up her shoe to show Shawn the stain. "Look at it! It's...it's..." she began to lose her balance on her single foot that touched the ground. One second she was sturdy on the dock, and the next she was falling back - into the ominous ocean waters. "Ah!"

Shawn stared wide-eyed at the scene, shocked and amused at the same time. Then he hunched over and began to laugh his ass off, close to tears.

"Y-you clutz!" he teased, snorting. "You thought t-the stain on your...on your shoes was the worst thing that c-could happen, but then..." He shut his eyes tight, his stomach hurting. But Sofia wasn't laughing along; instead, she was shouting.

Shouting for help.

"Shawn! Help me!" she screamed, getting pulled underneath the water once again for a brief second. She paddled up, keeping her head above the ocean for as long as she could (and that wasn't long, but it was just enough). "I can't...I can't swim! Shawn!"

He became serious, opening his eyes and staring at the drowning girl in front of him. It wasn't a joking matter; she was actually drowning. "Oh, shit! Sofia!" he hollered back, not thinking twice before diving into the ocean.

It wasn't deep - not for him, at least. The water reached his chin when he stood on his two feet, but Sofia only reached his chest.

He quickly reached out towards Sofia and grabbed her by the waist, pulling her towards him. She stopped flinging her arms in panic; instead, she wrapped her body around Shawn's, her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist.

Sofia coughed - she coughed for a while - but then regained her breath. She looked at Shawn and glared, punching him in the chest. "This is all your fault!" she screamed at him. "If you weren't so stupid, I wouldn't have fallen! You're lucky I'm wearing waterproof makeup, or I would drown you! Let go of me!"

"Okay." Shawn grinned, unwrapping his arms around Sofia's body and pushing her away from him. Her eyes bulged and she clung onto him tighter.

"No, don't let go of me! Are you crazy? I'm going to die! There are sharks!" she cried, and Shawn rolled his eyes but held her again, assuring her safety.

"There are no sharks here, Sofia," he told her quietly, looking into her raging brown eyes. With one hand, he brushed her soaked her away from her face. "It's just you and me."

His spare hand continued to hold Sofa's face, his thumb stroking her cheek with gentleness. Her eyes softened just a little, and her mouth opened to retort, but something was pressed against it.

Shawn's lips.

Sofia wasn't thinking properly; she was kissing him back. Her hand grasped his hair and her lips moved in sync with his. For a couple more seconds, their lips pressed against each others, but they eventually pulled back.

He looked into her eyes, she looked into his.

"That..." Sofia was the first one to speak, her voice calmer than before. She changed topic. "I feel something around my feet, Shawn. Get me out of here."

Disappointed, he nodded, walking with Sofia around him towards the nearby shore. The second they were at the shallow parts of the ocean, Sofia pushed herself off of Shawn and walked herself out of the water, away from Shawn.

"Sof, wait up. Where are you going?" Shawn called after her.

She hugged herself, shivering. "I'm going home! Don't follow me."

Shawn followed after her, jogging to catch up with her fast-walking. "Oh yeah? How are you going to get home, Sofia? Are you walk there?"

She stopped.

Gritting her teeth together, she turned to Shawn, face heated in embarrassment. "Can you drive me home?"

He didn't want to go home.

"Sure. Fine." Shawn said, sighing as Sofia continue to march across the beach, towards the car park. He didn't follow Sofia right away; for a while, he only stood under the moon like an idiot, his fingers touching his tingling lips. 

-