Chapter 28

**Fred’s POV**

“We have Defence first this morning,” I tell Maddie as we walk downstairs to breakfast.

“Those badges are stupid,” she replies as we pass a group of Hufflepuffs with Support Cedric badges.

“Yeah, they are,” I agree, “what do you think Moody’ll be teaching us today?”

“Probably going into more detail about the unforgiveable curses,” Maddie says, “he said that on Friday.”

“I wasn’t listening.”

“Are you ever?”

When we enter the Defence classroom all the desks and chairs have been cleared to the sides, leaving the whole middle area clear.

“Today,” Moody says, “I will be putting each of you under the Imperius curse so you know how it feels. The aim will be to fight it off. Any volunteers?”

“Go Georgie!” Vanessa squeals as George steps forward. Maddie makes a gagging noise and I chuckle at her.

“Bet you ten galleons he couldn’t do that if we asked him to do it,” I mutter to Maddie as George walks around the room on his hands.

“He’s not doing a very good job of fighting it off,” she whispers back.

“Right, let’s see if your twin can do any better,” Moody says, taking the curse off George. I slip past Maddie into the centre.

 “Loser!” Vanessa laughs when Moody has lifted the curse. His eyes both swivel to stare at her.

“Think you can do better?” he growls, “come on then!”

Vanessa struts into the middle. She promptly begins acting like a chicken. I smirk at her. Moody frees her and shakes his head.

“Weak minded,” he mutters.

“Let’s see Black do it!” Vanessa yells, her face turning bright pink.

“Come on then, Miss Black,” Moody says. Maddie walks into the centre. Moody raises his wand and points it at her. Nothing happens. A slight furrow appears in Moody’s forehead.

“I’d rather not,” Maddie says calmly, “it seems like a stupid idea to me.”

My mouth falls open. So does every other mouth in the room.

“Completely blocked!” Moody exclaims, “excellent, Miss Black!”

“She was ready for it!” Vanessa protests. Moody rounds on her.

“You, Clark, are weak minded,” he snarls, “Miss Black is stronger and smarter than you. Get. Over. It.”

Vanessa looks most affronted. Maddie moves back to stand next to me.

“Wow,” I say, impressed. She shrugs.

“It wasn’t that hard.”

**Maddie’s POV**

“Hogsmead tomorrow,” Fred says, “you keen?”

“What?” I yawn, rubbing my eyes.

“I said, there’s a Hogsmead visit tomorrow,” Fred repeats loudly.