Chapter 24

There was a rattle against Wallace's door. Then another, as the knocking continued to grow in hastiness and intensity. With a grown, Wallace marched along the wooden floor of his dorm room, trying to shake away the irritation beginning to glaze over his eyes. Parker was never in a rush to help Miren before. Why the urgency now?

Wallace sighed, his hand molding over the doorknob as he opened the door. "Geez, Park, what's the race?"

But it wasn't Parker.

Instead, Penelope waltzed through. Trailing behind her, Soren came into view.

There was a look of shock in Wallace's eyes before annoyance replaced it. "What the hell are you two doing here?" he said. "I already did your homework, Penelope."

She raised her eyebrows as if she had no idea what he was talking about. "Is that how you talk to your brother's girlfriend?" she asked, crossing her arms with a snarl. He shrugged.

"Still doesn't answer my question..."

"We need your help," Soren then intervened. "I want all of this to stop."

"What are you talking about?" Wallace questioned, forcing a clueless tone. Okay, he honestly didn't know why they were here. But something told him they were also looking for Miren. And he wasn't going to be their tour guide.

Soren groaned, his lips puckering as if he had bitten a lemon. "Everything. I don't know how long I can stay mad at Artemis. I can't even call her without all hell breaking lose."

Wallace rolled his eyes at Soren's rant. "When the hell did I become a relationship guru?"

"We're not here to listen to Soren's non-existent problems," Penelope then said, looking past the pouting senior. "We're enlisting you in our search efforts for Miren."

"Do I have a choice, sergeant?"

"None whatsoever."

"Okay, then," Wallace said acerbically. "What exactly do you want me to do?"

"Track her," Penelope stated. "Find some type of evidence to indicate her current whereabouts. Simple."

"If it's so simple, why don't you do it?" Wallace replied, his eyes narrowing against hers.

"Because you can do it for me," she said, snarling. "I'm sure it'll be more fun for you than my AP Bio homework." Wallace wrinkled his nose. He only did her assignments to keep a better eye on her. Part of him thought that after some time, he'd see some humility in her—something that would make him see what Parker saw in her. He shook his head. That was a whole other issue.

"So you'll do it?" Soren asked. Wallace looked at the boy. He was a Rinzen Royal. He probably never even said a word to Miren. He probably just said unfavorable things about her.

"What do you hope to accomplish?" Wallace asked, his eyes searching for their rotten intentions.

"To bring peace back to my school," Penelope answered, matter-of-factly. Wallace delayed a scoff. Peace. Wasn't she the one destroying it? He was mildly aware of The Incident between her and Miren because of Chara. And even if Miren had crossed Penelope, that didn't mean she deserved the hell she gave her.

"Fine, I'll help you," Wallace said after a while. "Just give me her school records and I'll go from there," he said, as the two nodded. "And trust me, Miren will come waltzing through the door."