23. This is War (Part III)

• • •

• • •

As Bucky and you sped down the highway, you leaned into him, the side of your face pressed against his back.

After all of the craziness that had been occurring, you two didn't have much time alone—which you hated. You barely had time to tell the man 'hello,' a majority of the time, let alone tell him how you really felt about him.

"You alright back there?" Bucky called out, breaking you free from your thoughts.

"Yeah," you answered, narrowing your eyes at the bridge that hovered over the road ahead.

You could almost make a figure out, standing on top of the bridge. As the motorcycle neared it, you could feel your heart skip a beat.

Black Panther, you thought.

You knew Bucky saw him, too, because he sped the motorcycle up.

"Hold on to me," Bucky yelled as his metal arm reached behind him, holding onto your side protectively.

At first you thought he was going to try to speed up and get under the bridge, but boy were you wrong.

Just as he neared the bridge, his right arm jerked the handlebars of the motorcycle so violently that you felt as if the thing was about to flip. This didn't happen, though, and instead, Bucky did a complete U-turn exceeding ninety miles per hour.

You looked over your shoulder to the bridge to see Panther gone. Your eyebrows furrowed, but you didn't have enough time to process what happened next.

As if falling from the sky, Panther came down, his claws catching your back and you were ripped away from Bucky; however, due to the fact that it was his metal arm that was holding onto you, Panther took down the both of you.

The bike skidded across the asphalt until crashing into a car heading straight in your direction on the one way highway, causing the car to veer into another lane and impact with a tractor trailer.

Bucky's grip on you was long lost and now you rolled across the pavement, feeling the asphalt rip through your shirt and scraping your back. You screamed out in pain, meanwhile Bucky was able to roll into a somersault, landing on his feet.

After all, you weren't the super-soldier; he was.

Panther stalked over to you, sounds of horns blaring as cars were trapped on the other side of the toppled tractor trailer that now blocked all three lanes of the highway. Bucky intercepted between you and Panther, giving you enough time to stand up, despite every inch of your body hurting.