Chapter 2

EMMA

Fletchers is just as busy as it always was. It was the best pub in town and a popular spot for all us uni student. But tonight was even crazy, maybe even busier than your average Friday night, and Friday nights could get loud. But tonight was special. Summer students celebrating the end of their term and returning students reuniting with friends they hadn't seen all summer.

"1...2...3...Go!" Harry cheered sipping his tonic water as the rest of us take our fourth shot. The sweet tequila goes straight to my head but I don't care Harry was driving us back. It was our first night back together after all so why not have a little fun.

"Another, another!" Lina excitedly asked bouncing up and down in her seat, a sure fire sign that she was a little past tipsy.

"Yes!" I tipsily yell, raising my arms above my head in youthful joy.

"Why don't we go dance sweetheart" Henry whispers, leaning over close to her ear and wrapping his arm around her waist. The dance floor wasn't too big, it really was just the area at the back of the pub and a small DJ setup for the rowdy university students but it did the trick, it was already full.

Lina could never pass up an opportunity to dance and Henry knew this all too well. Being careful to get her off her stool Henry and Lina were soon in the middle of the dance floor.

Harry and I were sitting alone. Looking over to the happy couple a big goofy smile spread all over my face.

"Aren't they just the cutest" I slur leaning my chin on my hands, looking back at him next to me.

"Are you growing soft on me Em?" Harry jokes taking a sip of his tonic water.

"Not a chance buddy boy!" Slapping his shoulder and taking another sip of my Old Fashion.

What a thought, my goodness. Me in a relationship? After the childhood I've had? All these ghostly memories flooding in I need more than another sip, I need a whole nother damn drink, maybe two.

Ok so at this very moment my head might be a little blurry. Fine my head is completely in the clouds but this is supposed to be a celebration so why not take things a little bit overboard? It wasn't my intention for tonight. In all honesty I planned on only having a drink or two and making a plan for this annoying first year mixer at the residence hall I was hired to run for all the new honors students.

"Another!" I cheer popping some nuts in my mouth and throwing my arms in the air once again. I don't know why I was always doing that. Harry said it was just a sign that I was clearly drunk but I didn't feel completely lost, I still knew what was happening.

It isn't until I feel a pair of warm callused hands on my hips that I'm pulled from my drunken train of thought and fully realize I had nearly fallen off my stool. Ok, maybe I'm a little past tipsy.

"Sure Em" giving me the smile we all give our drunken friends.

I loved when he called me Em. He was the only one who did surprisingly and in this vulnerable state I was in his voice even brought me weak at the knees.

All I could do was stare into his beautiful green eyes as he placed me back onto my chair. Those eyes that haunted me for weeks, months, years after he left all that time ago. I honestly never thought I would see him again after not hearing a word from him but here he was, looking right back at me and making sure I was ok and protected.

Normally I hated the idea of depending on someone to take care of me. I have been little miss independent for as long as I could remember but there was something different with him. It felt normal and good, damn I really was drunk, I had to be thinking this way.

"Why don't we get you a glass of water" he sighed motioning to the bartender.

"I don't need water Hazza!" I nagged at him.

"Come on just a few sips" he asked nudging the glass to me. I didn't need him to make sure I drank my water. I was my own woman but then again he was sober and I wasn't so maybe he had a point.

Giving him a playful glare I reluctantly took the water a relieved grin spreading across his face. I always loved how I could make him smile, every time it happened I was transported back to the good part of my upbringing when he was still there.

I know it shouldn't hurt me as much as it did. Afterall it had been years since he moved with his family but it did, more than anything else that happened to me, even the big incident. The pain cut through me with no warning or relief.

"Why did you leave?" The hushed words leave my lips before my brain can stop me, maybe he didn't hear me, it's loud in here. Oh god please don't let him have heard me.

"Huh?" He was confused of course he would be, I doubt he even remembered that time of his life.

"Huh?" I spat back at him nearly falling off of my chair again, the room began to spin as I tried to get out of his hold.

"Em, sit down" he asked trying to get me to sit again.

"No I wanna dance" I announced a little too loud placing my hands on his shoulders, keeping him almost at arm's length.

"You are completely pissed Em" he chuckled wrapping his arm around my waist to keep me upright. Maybe it's my alcohol filled brain but his eyes seemed to look right through me, reading me like a book, every secret, every scare. It was unnerving.

The air between us seemed to shift. I suddenly was looking up at his lips, craving him. It had to be the four shots and three old fashions talking, right? I couldn't be feeling this. But it was happening.

Butterflies sprang up in the pit of my stomach. Why was I nervous? Why was I feeling this and liking it? His strong arms wrapped around my waist, his piercing green eyes staring down at me. I was really standing in his arms staring at his lips wanting him to-.

With a sudden push from behind I collapsed into his chest as he quickly caught me.

"Oh shit sorry mate" A drunk Henry apologized "she's a little out of it" mentioning the drunk and lively Lina in his arms. She got even more energetic when she was drunk.

"No worries mate, let's head out" and with that the four of us proceeded to walk through the crowded pup and out into the crisp English night.

The cold air was like a smack in the face. It had easily dropped ten degrees since we had left for the night. My whole body was shaking, goosebumps covering my bare legs and arms as I tried to hug myself for warmth. Without a second thought Harry was pulling off his jacket and engulfing me in it.

Maybe it was the cool air or my rapidly beating heart from what almost just happened but I seemed to have sobered up a bit.

"Oh you don't have to, the cars just here" I tried to protest.

"It's fine" he chuckled "just get in" opening the door for me.

As soon as I slumped into the front seat my whole body relaxed. I was safe and there was distance. All I needed was to sleep it off. Ya, thats what would help, some sleep. Without knowing my head was resting on the window, my eyelids drooping low. And with the start of the car everything went black.

___

A/N: So here is chapter 3. I hope that it gives you a glimpse into their friendship. There will be flashbacks to their childhood and the last few years at uni to round out what they mean to one another. 

I am really enjoying writing this. It's raining here in New York City so I'm just writing away. I only wish it was acceptable to just jump forward to my favorite chapters and give them to you but don't worry, I'll build up to that. I just hope that you enjoy where the story goes. So if you do please vote/comment/share. 

All the love and happy spring!