The Messenger

(This one is short and sweet. 600 words.)

"My dear, you have another letter," he said, bowing with one arm behind his back.

"Don't call me dear, and stop mocking me," she snapped, reaching for the letter.

"Of course, your worship," he replied as he held the letter just out of her reach, his grey wings flapping steadily to keep him aloft.

She narrowed her eyes and snapped her book shut. "Shut up, messenger," she said the last word with much derision and a narrowing of her eyes. "Give me my letter."

"Gods I don't know why we must always play this game," he said, a smirk on his face as he twirled the letter around by its ribbon.

"Because you continually ignore the rules of message delivery and the social system?"

"Well, you must admit your life is dreadfully boring without me."

She scowled for a moment. "It is," she admitted. "Except for the life I live through my books; which you are keeping me from so hurry up and give me that blasted letter and be gone," she said impatiently.

"I don't think so Princess."

"I'm not a princess; stop playing and give me that confounded letter or I'll report you!"

He clicked his tongue disapprovingly. "Tut Tut, threatening a guy with the loss of his wings? That's harsh."

She puffed up her cheeks and glared at him. "I've grown tired of these games."

He looked her straight in the eyes. "You lie."

A hint of pink dusted her cheeks. "I do not," she said stubbornly, holding out her hand in one last attempt to retrieve her letter.

He flew close and held it out, but before she could grab it, he suddenly and grasped her hand with his left. He brought it to his lips and kissed it softly, then deposited the letter in her limp grasp.

"As you wish, milady."

As he disappeared she melted back in her chair, clutching at the letter in her grasp. What was that?

She pulled the ribbon and broke wax seal, opening the letter that had caused her so much trouble.

A string of letters, all from the same hand, had been sent to her through that infernal messenger. They were letters filled with admiration and declarations of intent. They made her feel happy, yet confused at the mysterious attention. But she could never be sure if they were after her or her father's money.

This letter was different though. It was the same handwriting and style of words... But the message was something else entirely.

It spoke of her beauty and her gentleness, but also of her ferocity and fire. That intrigued her for that had not been mentioned in any previous admonitions. He compared her to an exotic flower, and a stalking hunter.

The writing was skilfull, even more so than usual, as if his previous attempts were grated gravel, and this was fine honey.

He said that he understood her, and the words he used did not conflict with who she really was. How could anyone know such things? She talked to no one like that. She was a noble, she kept herself to herself. The only person she acted herself around was...

It was only at the end of the letter, when her eyes alit upon four words, that she reacted with more than just her simple smile. She got to her feet, the letter dropping from her stiff fingers. She searched wildly for her messenger, but he was long gone, carried away by his gorgeous wings.

She picked up the letter and examined the last line.

"I love you, Princess."

(inspired by this pic)