Chapter 34

“You look great,” she said. I couldn't help but snort in my mind. Yeah, right. I bet that's exactly what she thought of me. I bet she finds the situation just as horrible as I do. I still don't understand why they're here, they don't have to be. I didn't want them to. But it's too late now, the funeral's over and I feel like shit. My eyes are still sore after all the tears, I can't breathe through my nose because of all the snot that has filled it up because of the crying. Disgusting, I know.

“Thanks. Mum. You look good yourself.” I hoped that it didn't show how big that lie was. To be honest, she looked tired, angry, pissed of and sad at the same time. Or maybe that's how she always looked, just that I'd forgot it. She gave me a weak smile, that almost felt fake and took another sip of her coffee.

Like I said, the funeral's over. I had to admit that it feels better than I thought. Like a burden has been lifted from my shoulders. It was over now. Sure, I'll be shedding more tears, but that's okay. I still have people left in my life that I love. Life doesn't end here, even though it feels like it sometimes.

My thoughts were interrupted as Harry placed his hand in mine under the café table. I turned my head to look at him and received a small smile.

“Well, I never thought that Amber would get a boyfriend,” Mark started, but got a small punch in the stomach, that sadly showed, from Jim. But I pretended like it hadn't and let Jim think that his small gesture worked. At least Jim's got some manners, better late then never I guess. I could feel how Harry's grip on my hand hardened as he spilled out, with his gaze focused on Mark:

“Why not?” I could see in the corner of my eye how dad tensed a bit, but he didn't say anything.

“Excuse me?” Mark asked in his regular snob voice.

“Amber is the sweetest girl I've ever met. I'm lucky that I've got her, and not anybody else!”

* Harry's POV*

I couldn't help my words, but this guy just made me furious. Has it ever occurred to him that his words may hurt other people? Hurt Amber? Did he really think that he's so much better than everybody else that he has the right to say what he thinks and feel, no matter what it is. No matter if it's good or bad. I bet his mind works the other way around, when he thinks good of someone or something, he doesn't say it. But when he finds something bad or horrible or at least not as good as himself, he surely let it out. Well, guess what. I don't think I've ever met a person that's actually worse than him. Maybe I should let that show.

I felt guilty about it, but I actually wanted this whole family gathering thing to end, like right now. Sure, I've always wondered what Amber's family's like, but I thought that her mother and her new family would be as nice as her father. They're not.

I left the table to go to the bathroom, it wasn't that necessary, but it was at least a way to leave the table for a while. I closed the door behind me and turned around and found myself in the mirror. I placed my hands on the sink and looked at myself. My dark curls seemed a little messy, but I didn't care. My suit started to feel uncomfortable and I wanted to get out of it really bad. Maybe I'll just take it off and head back to the table in my underwear. Now, that would show that Mark guy and his stone faced father. Nah, I can't do that, even though it would be a hell lot of fun.

I flushed even though I hadn't used the toilet and pretended to wash my hands. I unlocked the door and opened it and started to head back to the table. To my surprise, it was only Amber's mother and father there. I looked around for Amber, but didn't see her anywhere. I slowly continued towards the table and interrupted them in a conversation that seemed to be about Steve's wedding or something.