Chapter 29: If It Came Down To That

“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.” 

― Lauren Oliver, Delirium

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took a deep breath, trying to think through the blood rushing to my head.

Did I hear him right? He killed someone? Why would he ... do that? And how does Maya know this?

"Nat-" Maya started.

Nathan must've said something way too low for me to hear because well, I couldn't hear it.

I pressed a cold trembling hand to my forehead.

What had I gotten myself into this time?

Hearing a small whine, I turned around and saw that Remy had woken up. The baby boy was rubbing his eyes, and yawning.

He looked so cute, I wanted to cuddle him. He looked at the bed next to him in dismay and his lower lip started to tremble.

Uh-oh.

"Look who's up?" I said in my most soothing voice.

At hearing my voice, his head snapped up. His face transformed into a beautiful smile and he leaned forward, stretching his small hands out, fists opening and closing.

I let out a small laugh and headed towards him. I sat next to him and he climbed into my lap and yawned.

He must've got up when he realized no one was in bed.

His fists clenched in my-um, I mean Nathan's-shirt and he happily rested his head on my chest and promptly fell asleep.

I let out a low laugh.

Must be nice to be able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

I rubbed his tiny back in slow up and down movements and he started purring. Startled, I looked down wondering if I'd woken him.

Nope. He was asleep.

I smiled.

Such a cat.

The door opened and I stilled. Remy stirred and I continued to rub his back. I heard something open so I looked up, curious.

The black camera I'd bought for Nathan was flying out of its place in the cupboard, twirling gracefully to face Remy and me, shutter side first.

Nathan stood a few feet away, watching me with dark green hooded eyes. I ignored the camera as it clicked pictures. My eyes were trained on my very sexy mate. 

The camera landed on the sheets beside me. I looked down at Remy who was sucking his thumb again.

Sighing, I pulled it out of his mouth.

"Do you know I find you so beautiful, I keep wondering what I did right to deserve you?" he asked.

"Huh." Was my cognitive response/grunt.

He smirked at me, reaching me in two long strides and cupping my cheeks in his hand and placing his lips on mine. My hands automatically wrapped around his thick wrists, my lashes fluttering shut on their own accord.

My mind shut off, thoughts filtered out of my head and it was all I could do to remember the baby in my lap.

I pulled back.