Chapter Seven: Homecoming

"It's your turn to drive." I said, shutting off the truck. The bad thing about driving older vehicles was that they guzzled gas. Bentley, opened an eye, stared at me for a moment, then closed it again. Honestly, he's as bad as Cass. With an annoyed eye roll, I climbed out of the truck, shut the door, and went to grab a coffee from the gas station. It was 4am and Wyoming was cold as all hell.

The cashier raised a bushy eyebrow as I came inside the gas station. I can only assume he was confused by at any customer would be awake this early. Giving him a small nod, I made my way towards the row of coffee dispensers on the rear back wall. Coffee was my life. With a handful of options to choose from, I went simple and sweet. Grabbing a 20oz. medium roast with caramel creamer, I turned back for the counter. Snagging a small bag of donuts, and two cold coffees for the sleeping beauties on the way.

"Will that be all for ya'?" He asked, eyeing me suspiciously. I smiled, kindly as possible.
"Yeah," I replied, "And $40 on pump two." He nodded slightly.
"That will be $48.68, miss," I smiled again, handed the man $50. Tapping my foot impatiently as he checked the bill. I felt his eyes follow me out the door. Had anything happened, he would have been introduced to the six inch blade that was sheathed next to my waist. Bentley was outside, waiting for me.

"$40." I said, he nodded and lifted the pump.

"Did you get breakfast?"

"Donuts." I said, lifting the bag of powdered donuts for him to see.

"Coffee?"

"In the bag."

"You're too good to me." I rolled my eyes.

"Weirdo. And your driving."

"I think we should let Cass drive." he replied with a chuckle. I laughed.

"Now that's training that I'll leave to Sam." Bentley smiled and I climbed inside the truck. Cass sat up, a look of disgust on her face.

"Are we there yet?" Her dark hair was tangled and some strands were stuck to her face. I smiled at sleepy disposition.

"Not yet, Cass." She grumbled something under her breath, "Did you bring me food." I snorted slightly, and handed her the mocha frappachino and the bag of donuts. Her eyes lit up.
"Yay!" I shook my head in response. She grabbed a donut and said, "Ya' know, being hangry is evolutionary. It's an instinct for some people. It means my ancestors fought hard for their food." I listened intently as she explained why she was always hangry.

"Kid, you're a walking encyclopedia of weird." She shrugged. Bentley got back in the truck, his face rosy from the cold air.

"Damn, it is cold!"

"No shit Sherlock." Cass replied passively, biting into her second donut. Bentley raised an eyebrow but didn't pursue the antagonization.

"Anyone need to pee?" He asked, turning over the engine. Both of us shook our heads, "Good." He pulled away from the station and we were back on the road.

We stopped in Tooele, Utah to gas up again and grab an early lunch. It was nice, almost like a normal road trip.

"So what exactly are we getting ourselves into?"

"I had Sam send me any info on past cases that they've worked, but this isn't looking like any of the past ones." Cassidy states, pulling out her laptop. Tapping away at the keys she continues, "Sam said past cases have been mostly cursed objects, like a coin, or people selling their souls. But I looked into the articles, and nothing online at least, suggest that these people have either of these things. The only thing in common is that they are all from the same county."