Chapter 21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Tonight was Bliss's wedding plans dinner. The place and setting where my mother and Livie would be finding out about the pregnancy. As for Max, not yet. I required a lot more courage, bravery before telling him and I was still lacking. Hopefully, tonight after I told my Mum and Livie I would realize how bad it wasn't and how things could go actually good, focusing on the good instead of the bad. Even though, telling Mum and Livie was less nerve wracking than telling Max, I still felt slightly nervous. I concluded that no matter who it was, you'd also feel nervous about sharing such a big news. Although, it was a news I wasn't expecting to share so soon, I'm still happy.

For tonight, I was wearing a white long-sleeved lace blouse with black skinny jeans and nude Loubotin heels. The chill of the fall was starting to set in, the warm breezes from September no longer here since we were already on the second week of October. I curled my hair with my curling iron and kept my face fresh with minimal make-up.

I was done getting ready and was just waiting for Max to be ready. Mia was going with us to the dinner since Bliss had insisted it was a family and close friends thing and even though she was a baby she had every right to attend. We were going to meet up with them at the place. Max and I had offered to go pick up Mum and Dad but Bliss and Reeve insisted they could since they lived closer to them.

Max came walking through the hallway adjusting his shirt. He was wearing a white shirt - its sleeves rolled up to his forearms - grey trousers and black shoes. His brown hair was supposed to be styled elegantly but was already a tad messy from dressing up and his habit of running his hands through his hair from time to time.

"Ready?" I asked him

He nodded in response.

I stood up from the couch, taking Mia from my lap and grabbing my clutch as we walked to the elevator. I kissed Mia's cheek and adjusted her curls as we descended to the underground parking lot. Max's hand was on the small of my back. He kissed my temple and lightly squeezed my hip as he offered me a reassured smile. I didn't know what it was for but kindly accepted it. Wait? Could he know? I quickly dismissed those thoughts and assured myself that the sonogram and prenatal vitamins were in my purse and he hadn't evaded my privacy. I hoped so. These last few days, I often found myself looking at the sonogram for hours.

Max took Mia from my arms and settled her into her car seat as I entered his car. I placed my clutch on my lap and buckled my seat belt, Max later entering the car and starting the engine.

The whole ride to the restaurant was quiet. In a good way. Max held my hand, sometimes rubbing patterns on the back of my hand with his thumb from time to time. It was a soothing gesture that helped me forget and dismiss the small amount of tension in my body. For a moment, I thought he was doing this to assure me everything was going to be fine with the pregnancy but I got rid of the assumption before going further into it. I was over thinking his actions. This only proved how I needed to tell him as soon as possible. It wasn't something I wanted to do but another baby so soon wasn't something I also wanted. Things don't always go your way and that was something I had to remind myself often.

***

As our family, Reeve's family and a couple of close friends chatted, I excused myself to the bathroom, pulling Mum and Livie with me. Bliss gave me a knowingly side glance as she watched me leave the table with them. Her attention returning to Mia, who was on her lap as we left her view.

The door of the bathroom closed behind us, Mum wasted no time asking what was going on. I took a few deep breaths, the anticipation and intrigue killing both my mother and best friend.