NINETEEN | 12/17/15

NINETEEN | 12/17/15

WINTER BREAK OFFICIALLY starts today, and both Harrison and I have been planning to go on a little road trip to the Big Apple. Ever since that one Thursday, five months ago, when Harrison showed me the view of Cherryhill, I couldn't shake off the urge to do something else. The two of us always loved the idea of traveling, but with college taking up most of our time, we haven't really done anything yet.

"I'm so glad that I'm an adult and can make my own decisions," Harrison says to me, loading our stuff into the car, "or else I would be stuck in stupid Cherryhill for the whole entire month."

"Same," I agree as I rub my arms, trying to warm myself up against the cold wind, "We don't even know what we're gonna do."

A sly smirk forms on his face, "We'll just explore the place. After all, it just takes a little adventure."

I'm struck with the familiarity of the line.

As we both enter the car, I finally say, "You said that to me before, you know?"

"Oh, I know."

"And I couldn't help but feel so small compared to the world," I reiterate, remembering how I felt just watching the cars filled with people and souls and stories -- how I realized that their lives are just as vivid as my own.

"There's a word for that," Harrison says, glancing at me as we drive down the road, "Sonder. There's lots of people in the world, baby, and we're only a fragment of it."

"It's crazy to think about," I shake my head in disbelief before taking on a lighter tone, "like how it's crazy to think that you've been arrested several times."

"Why is that?"

"Because we've grown so much in, what, seven months now?"

"Eight, actually."

I flick his shoulder, "Shut up, smart-ass."

He sticks his tongue out at me, "Admit that I'm right."

I laugh, "Okay, maybe we haven't grown that much. Still, you had aspirations, but you didn't have anything to push you in that direction. But now?"

"I had you," Harrison says, a small smile gracing his lips and somehow making his face look brighter, "and I still have you."

I appreciatively smile at him, "Hey, I have you, too. Always, yeah?"

Once we reach a stoplight, Harrison looks away from the road and connects his blue eyes with my brown ones. They hold so much affection that it makes my senses go haywire. Even with one smoldering look, he can make me feel like the world is in my hands, and that is enough for me. I guess what we feel for each other at this age is sometimes rare to find.