Chapter Fifty One

"Well this brings back memories." Sirius said. He seemed to be the happiest of the group as they made their way to the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid as their guide.

Remus rubbed his face. "Yes it does."

Eleanor looked up at her father and remembered the stories that Sirius had told her of the times, the group of boys would roam around the grounds of Hogwarts and the Forbidden Forest during nights of the full moon.

It was going to be a long day for the group as magic wouldn't really be of use to them in retrieving the stone. Ron had the brilliant idea of using nifflers and suggested it to Hagrid but the man held doubt about using the creatures.

"I don't know much about the stone itself," Hagrid said," but unless it's shiny, the nifflers won't have much of an interest in them."

The group groaned.

George nudged Eleanor. "Aren't Hufflepuffs supposed to be particularly good finders?" he teased. " You and Cedric should have no trouble finding it."

"Shut up, George." she chuckled.

Kingsley thought it would be a good idea for everyone to split up during the search to cover as much ground as they could around the area that Harry claimed he had dropped the stone, or at least where he thought he dropped the stone.

Everyone had their wand on them and if they were to find it, they would send out a signal. Eleanor paired up with Cedric as they searched the grounds, brushing aside dirt and plants in search.

"This is going to take forever." Cedric huffed from where he was on his hands and knees searching through a bush. "I thought Dumbledore was going to be a bit more insightful about all of this...not send us on a scavenger hunt through the Forbidden Forest."

"Really? You didn't expect this? You didn't see this coming at all?" Eleanor said casting a glance his way. "The man spoke in riddles and poems the entire time we went to school, but you thought he was going to give us a straight forward answer. Did Marnie punch you in the head recently?"

"Not recently." Cedric answered.

The two stared at each other for a moment before laughing. Eleanor shook her head at him as she continued to crawl around.

Eleanor had her eyes focused completely on the ground unaware of anyone in her surroundings until her hands touched some feet.

Or rather hooves.

She jumped as her hands graced the hoof and scooted back to sit in front of a centaur. She swallowed unsure of what to say or do.

She remembered the Divination professor Firenze, who was a kinder centaur and believed his kind could interact with humans, however, his colony had not been so welcoming to the idea. She also remembered they had fought on their side during the war, showering the scene with arrows, but that was also during a time where Voldemort was posing a threat to their way of life as well.

Eleanor had no idea how this centaur was going to react to her presence.

"I'm sorry to intrude." Eleanor told the centaur quickly, bowing her head respectfully.

"Ellie!" she heard Cedric called out, and soon the young man appeared but stopped as he saw the centaur as well. "Oh..uh..."

The centaur neared Eleanor, who scooted a little further back until a hand was presented in her face. She glanced up at the creature before holding out her hand and allowing the centaur up to her feet.

"Thank you." she said.

"You are welcome. Now what are you doing in the forest? You seem a little old to be a student."

"Well, we're not that old," Eleanor mumbled but shook her head to keep herself on track. "Excuse me, but we're here on a search."

"There are more of you in the forest?"

"Yes. I'm sorry?"

"You have nothing to be sorry for, at least that I'm aware of. Do you have something you wish to confess?"

"No."

"Good, then perhaps we can assist you on your search of whatever it is that you are searching for."

"We?" Cedric repeated.

The two former Hufflepuffs saw several more centaurs appear behind the original one.

"Oh...we." Cedric said. "Okay."

Nixie and Sirius met up with the rest of the group after searching for what felt like forever but coming up empty handed.

"Where's Cedric and Ellie?" Fred asked the others.

The group shrugged and looked around.

"Well that's unsettling.' Remus said with a shake of his head.

"I'm sure if they had ran into any trouble they would have signaled for help.Have some faith in the two, goodness." Nixie turned to Remus. "Ellie is not some toddler roaming around in the forest. She is fully capable of taking care of herself. She doesn't need a babysitter."

The group heard Cedric yell out in the distance.

"You were saying?" Remus said pulling out his wand.

"I was speaking for Eleanor...not Cedric." Nixie said quickly.

"Are you okay?" Eleanor chuckled as she helped Cedric to his feet.

"Bloody tree roots, I swear that one moved to trip me."

"These type of trees do not move." One of the centaurs pointed out. "You are just clumsy."

"Ellie! Cedric!" The two heard their names being called, alerting the centaurs as well.

"Well, there's the rest of our group." Eleanor said.

"They are loud." Another centaur said in an annoyed tone.

"We didn't even bring the loud one with us.' Eleanor said before Cedric whacked her arm.

Fred and George appeared first and saw the two with the centaurs.

"Wow..." George said. "They really are particularly good finders."