deux

a/n:
Blown away by all the reads and sweet comments regarding the book. Thank you so much.

f r e n c h
k i s s e s

Narrow roads were lined with aged tenements and businesses, rolling luggage down the roads proving to be a task itself. The wheels of my luggage got stuck on a few empty holes in the cobblestone road. Laurent gave a hand whenever I was ready to admit defeat and just leave my bags and my year's worth of clothes out for the dogs.

After ten minutes of tricky steps, we arrived in front of a lightly stoned building with at least a dozen balconies for tenants. Laurent opened the red front door into the building for me. I walked in, taking in the building's beautiful wallpaper and common area.

I fished out my keys from my carry-on bag and pushed for the elevator. I pushed the elevator screen open when it arrived and shuffled into the small space with the four large bags I would be living out of for the next year.

I found my apartment door and slid the key into its lock, revealing a beautifully decorated apartment when I opened the door. Hues of pink and white were splashed across the small space.

Laurent and I pushed our luggage in and he set his bag near the entrance. I continued and took a peek at the kitchen and living room, the bedroom and bathroom next. With every light I switched on I could see so much beauty, the apartment such a contrast to my place back in the states.

"Welcome home," Laurent finally said with a smile as I sat down on my new bed.

At the same time as when he spoke a phone began to ring, I got up and found the phone in the living room. Laurent made his way towards the living room as well, taking a seat on a chaise.

"Hello, this is Arden Michaelson," I began very professionally, "in Paris, France."

There was silence on the other end for a second before I heard a muffled cough and a response.

"Bonjour, ma chérie," I heard through the handset.

I recognized that voice in a heartbeat. I looked over at Laurent and saw him reading a magazine that must have been on the coffee table. 

"Zac?" I questioned, wanting confirmation, I saw Laurent shift a bit in his seat.

"Yes, it is yours truly."

I walked into the kitchen with the phone, leaning against the marble counters.

"So you made it safely I'm guessing?" he asked with a chuckle.

I nodded, forgetting that he couldn't see all my physicality and me. We hadn't quite ironed out all the details of our relationship for when I was to be abroad, it all just happened so quickly.

"Yeah, I made it safely. I'm in one piece."

I looked at my watch on my wrist, the time indicated that it was late back in California.

"What are you doing awake? Don't you have work in less than eight hours?" I inquired; it had to be well past midnight over there.

He shifted his phone and took a breath, the sound of faint music in the background.

"Well, I couldn't fall asleep unsure if you had arrived safely," he said in a softer tone, making me remember why I had first fallen in love with him.