H O M E

Previously...

"You-you still want me to come in."

"Are you still the same man that was in my backseat? You haven't switched him with someone else have you?"

He chuckled at her ridiculous question. "Yes and no."

"Then, let's go. It's cold out here."

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

A l   f o l l o w e d   L i l l y  inside. It was a warm cozy house with pictures of smiling faces all around, pumpkin spice candles all around. Her home had one large living room connecting to a kitchen, and a small hall that leads to two doors. Lilly disappeared for a moment and returned with a white boxer by her side.

"This Brody," Lilly informed, pointing to the excited dog. Then, she met Al's gaze, "I figured you may like to shower up, so I left a few towels in the bathroom and a washcloth. Let me know if you need anything. I'll be in the kitchen, putting together something to eat," she said with ease, as though this is a normal occurrence for her.

Al didn't really know what to say. Lilly was like a little angel and he didn't want to take advantage of her but didn't know what to give in return.

"Thank you," Al said, with as much gratitude in his voice as he could.

She simply smiled in response.

Al took his time in the bathroom, not knowing when he would get to use one again. He looked at his face and realized how much he had truly changed. His hair had never gotten passed his ears, always trying to maintain the same uniform appearance he was taught in the army. Annoyed by his new look he avoided the mirror and focused on the shower. He stripped his overly worn clothes and turned on the water. After a minute or so it was the perfect blend of hot and warm, so he hopped in closing the florally decorated curtain behind him.

Lilly heard the shower going, and wondered what to make someone, who probably hasn't had a decent meal in a while. She didn't want to make him anything too rich, nervous about upsetting his stomach, and she was too tried to go all out, so she settled on making simple turkey sandwiches out of the ingredients in her fridge. Ten minutes later she heard the shower shut off. Shit. What is he going to wear? She couldn't have him getting back into those clothes, especially not after a nice shower. She ran into her garage and searched through the bucket of her father's old clothes. In the end, Lilly just picked up the whole bucket and brought it to the bathroom door. She knocked gently. "Al," she called.

"Um, yeah?"

"I've got some clothes you can look through."

"Oh, thank you."

Lilly was nervous the clothes wouldn't fit right or that he wouldn't accept them. He was a man after all and if she had learned anything in her twenty-four years of living it was that men can be prideful. But like before she heard sincere gratitude in Al's voice.

Al was looking at the pile of clothes in the corner contemplating wearing the towel to sleep in when Lilly brought him the clothes. They were a little snug around his shoulders, but the sweats fit perfectly, so he decided to just go without a top. Hoping Lilly wouldn't mind too much. He walked out of the bathroom and into the living room, where he found Lilly setting a spot for him on her couch. She had already laid at least four layers of sheets and thrown two pillows. She had not realized he was in the room and had been watching her for a moment, before clearing his throat to alert her of his presence.

"Oh, hey," Lilly said without turning she was just finishing putting the last sheet on the couch. "There is a turkey sandwich in the kitchen for you. Help yourself to anything to in the fridge to drink. I didn't really know what you wanted."

Al, walked into the kitchen in search of the food and found it sitting perfectly on the counter with a glass beside it. "Did you already eat?" He asked.

"No, but I'm fine. I had a late lunch and wasn't really hungry." Al didn't like hearing she was missing meals, especially after she has been taking such care of him. Peeking inside the fridge, he pulled out some cranberry juice and poured two glasses. He then found another plate in her cupboards and placed half the sandwich on the plate. When he came out she was leaning against the neatly made bed, her drooping softly.

"Lilly, um, I made you half," He lied, pointing to the plate, knowing she would insist on him eating the whole sandwich if he hadn't. She was too tired to catch the obvious lie and took the drink and plate without question.

Taking the food, Lilly realized Al was in her living room shirtless. He must have caught her eyeing him, for he said, "I hope you don't mind, none of the shirts really fit. I could put one on anyone though. It is your house."

"No, no. Don't be ridiculous. If you are more comfortable, I don't care," Lilly replied quickly. Lilly really didn't mind. Al had was really something to look at. He had a well-defined body despite living on hard times. He's ribs peeked out a bit due to the lack of nutrition, but put some food back in him, and he would have a torso any man at the gym would kill for.

They sat in silence, eating their food, a light rain trickling from outside. "Damn," she exclaimed under her breath, remembering the leak in the roof she hadn't gotten repaired yet.

"Whats wrong?"

"It's nothing, sorry."

"Tell me."

"It's beginning to rain and I just blanked on getting my roof fixed," Lilly confessed, frustrated with herself.

"I can fix it," Al replied quickly excited to do something in return for her.

"No, no. I can't ask you to do that."

"You're not. I'm insisting. Lilly, I am fixing your roof. In exchange for staying the night."

"Now?" She asked, shocked.

"No, but it will be fixed in the morning before I leave."

"Leave? Where will you go?"

"There are a few places downtown. I stay at."

"Yeah, but?" Lilly didn't like the sound of that. She liked Al's company. He is a good man from what she can tell.

"Lilly, I'll be fine. Go to sleep." Al said, noticing her food was finished, as well as, her drink.

"We'll talk in the morning," she said firmly, before getting up. "Goodnight, Al."

"Goodnight, Lilly."

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

To be continued...