Chapter 30

The next morning the entire crew were on repairs. All of our science experiments were falling behind and we had to tend to the failures of the ship due to our extended mission.

I helped Johanssen with the reactor. I had to walk back and forth with the equipment that was needed while she tended to the repairs.

On my fourth trip to the tool room, I spotted Beck looking carrying a spanner in the opposite direction. He was fixing the cooling vents with Martinez and so probably had the same job as me.

We hadn't spoke all morning since he got a little angry last night. But I knew it was nothing and so I decided to leave it alone. However, Beck had other ideas.

He grabbed a hold of my arm and pulled my to the side quickly as we passed each other.

"Hey, listen. I'm sorry for storming out like that yesterday, I was just angry and frustrated that I-"

"I know." I stopped his frantic rambling. "I've had my moments too. Unfortunately we just have to cope with it."

A small smile appeared on his lips, and just as he was about to speak, Johanssen's voice ran through my earpiece. "Collins, where are you?"

"I'll be right there." I responded. Me and Beck simultaneously sighed, and with that we both rushed off in our opposite directions.

~

"No good, Commander." Martinez sighed as he walked into the control room where we were all assembled. Seeing as we off mission, Lewis kept frequent 'meetings' going at the end of each day to evaluate what problems still needed fixing.

"We've tried everything. The vents don't work in both bunks." Beck spoke leaning against the counter.

"Well, you can't keep sleeping in air lock 2, Martinez. If one seal breaks you're dead." Lewis evaluated.

"Everywhere else is too crowded," he said, "and Watney's bunk has the same problem."

After pondering over her thoughts, Lewis finally came to an answer.

"Ok, Martinez sleep in Beck's room from now on. Beck can sleep with Collins."

Vogel and Martinez looked up in confusion. Johanssen looked stunned at the Commander, and I stood frozen still.

Lewis looked between the both of us. "It's a small ship. You really thought I wouldn't notice?" I studied her face for the moment she would rage out, but she remained her composed self.

"You're not mad?" Beck asked with almost disbelief.

"If this were a normal mission, I would be," Lewis said. "But we're way off-script now. Just keep it from interfering with your duties, and I'm happy."

"Million-mile-high club," Martinez said. "Nice!"

I blushed deeper and buried my face in my hands, but couldn't ignore the glimmer of happiness from Lewis' acceptance.

~

Time passed by and it was soon the night before the big rescue. Me and Beck lay literally  against each other in my small bunk. I lay my head on the pillow, while he looked down at me, propped up on his elbow.

After numerous drills and rechecks of numbers, we were almost certain that we would retrieve Watney tomorrow, but only time could tell.

Over the past days, it had been way easier for us both. However, we hardly saw each other due to all the last minute work, so it was difficult to assume that anything really changed. But it was nice knowing that we didn't have to completely hide.

"We need to talk about tomorrow." Beck said.

A sigh escaped my lips, dreading the conversation that was forthcoming.

"We're astronauts." He said. "Our job is a huge risk and you and I both know that unplanned space travel is just asking for disaster."

"Can we not talk about this." I whispered.

"We need to...state the possibilities here. Of course I'll do everything I can to get both me and Watney back safely, but who knows what I'll be thinking when I'm out there."

"You will come back and there's no question about it." I tried to refrain my voice from breaking.

"We just need to think rationally. Things could go wrong and I need to make sure you're prepared to be okay with that."

"Okay with you dying?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "No, I'll never be okay with that."

A sigh left his pink lips as he spoke his next words. "There's a chance that the Watney could be too far to reach. If that happens, I'm going to cut my tether." His eyes looked into mine, fearful of my answer.

My lips parted in shock and in slight anger. "That's suicide, Beck."

"I've got the MMU. I can easily get back without the tether and I'll have Watney by my side. Everyone wins."

"What does Lewis have to say about all this?" Tears began forming in my eyes as I became frantic at the thought.

"She's against it. But I have a feeling she'll change her mind when it comes down to it."

"Please don't do this. I won't let you." A single tear slid down my cheek.

He leaned down and pressed his lips against my forehead tenderly.

"Hearing you say that is all the motivation I need to come back." He said.

"You will come back."

He gently wiped away the tear from my face.

"Hey, you're not gonna get rid of me that easily." He gave a crooked smile.

Without saying another word, I wrapped my hands around the back of his neck, and pulled his face down until he kissed me.

His body hovered over mine as our lips synchronised together in perfect harmony. His large hands rested on my hips as our legs entangled together under the sheets.

That night, we kissed each other, embraced each other and enjoyed each other, as if it was the last time we ever would.