10 | a rainy day

"Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth."

—Jurassic Park (1993)

☁☁☁☁

Sachi was disappointed as soon as she heard the patter of raindrops against her window. She'd rushed out of her room to the sliding doors, only to find what she'd already feared: it was pouring.

She wasn't sure what she was more upset about: the fact that she couldn't go out, or that it was just raining. She'd never liked the rain, having always preferred sunshine to the dreary clouds. She should've known their good weather wasn't going to last.

Sachi padded over to the island, her slippers squeaking against the floor, and she grabbed the milk from the fridge. Since they were all stuck here today, she might as well make herself comfortable. And a hot chocolate seemed like a good start.

She found a packet and made it swiftly, only adding milk at the end. She didn't add too much, because she liked it to be as warm as she could stand it without burning her tongue.

She'd settled down at the couch with her laptop balanced on her lap and her drink set down on the table when Lola wandered into the room. She was still rubbing at her eyes with closed fists, though she brightened upon seeing Sachi.

"Hey, honey!" Lola grinned as she grabbed a mug from one of the cabinets.

"Hey, Lola." She took another scalding sip before focusing her attention on logging in. She hadn't checked social media in a while, and it felt like this was the perfect time to make her reappearance.

"Why're you up so early?" Lola started brewing her coffee, and she braced herself against the island, staring at Sachi. "You're not running today, are you?"

"Not in this weather." Sachi chuckled. "It looks like it's going to be a pretty relaxed day."

"Yup. We're not going anywhere." Her drink finished, and she grabbed it before taking a seat on the couch beside her. "What are your plans, then?"

"I haven't decided." Her Twitter was filled to the brim with new tweets, so she merely typed something out about the suckish weather before continuing onto Instagram. "I think I'll wait for everyone else to wake up before I decide anything."

"Good idea."

Lady padded into the room. She looked disappointed upon seeing the rain too, and she leapt onto the couch with them, shifting so she could lie down against her thigh.

"Lady hates the rain, too," Lola remarked. "I don't hate it, but when we're somewhere as fantastic as this, it's a shame."

"Mmhmm."

"I should make breakfast." Lola rose, her skirts rustling about her as she scurried back into the kitchen. "How are bagels?"

"Bagels are fine." Sachi was extra careful in picking up her mug this time, because she didn't want to startle Lady and accidentally spill the hot chocolate all over her laptop. Thankfully, it was a success, and she put it back on the table, out of their reach.

☁☁☁☁

After breakfast, it was apparent that it was a lazy day for everyone. Erin had taken up texting with Clare once again, and it was a rare sight to find her looking somewhere that wasn't a phone screen. Hunter seemed to be in a worse mood than usual, probably due to lack of sleep, and he'd thrown himself back onto his bed a few minutes following their meal. Elliot, meanwhile, had retreated into his room, though she had no idea what he was doing.

Since she had nothing to do, she found herself wandering to his room. She pushed his door open tentatively, not wanting to step in on an awkward situation. "El?"