Chapter 23 - Irony

"You and Will are getting on quite well lately, wouldn't you agree?" Nora asks the moment I'm changed and in warm clothes. She's waiting on the bed we share, with two mugs of hot chocolate.

I groan softly. As I was in the bath I knew she'd mention this and I didn't know how I'd answer. I still don't know. There's a look in her eyes, like she knows something I don't and is immensely amused because of it, but it scares me.

"I told you, we're in a truce. That's all," I reply, sitting in front of her with my legs crossed and holding the mug she offers me. "You know he still calls me princess and I call him Guillermo."

"Those are pet names," she comments offhandedly, holding her smile as my eyes widen in horror. "But seriously, you two looked really close today and were having fun. Not to mention the other day when the... the article about you... you know." I look away at the memory about my death and the heavy burden of that body back home, pretending to be me. "He was the one who held you and made you calm down."

"It was just because he was there! It could've been anyone else!" I refute ardently, not wanting anyone to believe it made any difference to me that it was Will.

"Are you sure?"

Why does she make it sound like she knows better and I'm the slow one who hasn't realised? Why does it seem like she is right and I'm the one making excuses?

"Yes!" I shout, almost spilling my drink. "Will and I are two opposite sides of a coin. Why are you insinuating it's different?"

"I agree, you two are like the two sides of a coin," Nora finally agrees and I sigh relieved. "But still, you're one coin. You made the analogy, not me."

I can't even reply, I only stare at her as I feel my cheeks flaming. I feel so frustrated and embarrassed of what I've been saying, not realising how it could be interpreted. And I can't help thinking of Will, of all those times I've felt my heart throb and how things have indeed changed between us. I was so certain I hated him at first, I couldn't stand even the mention of his name.

Can I say the same now?

"Look, Blanca, I'm not forcing you to accept anything, but I'm trying to make you aware. You don't hate Will and you two can actually get along. Maybe you should talk to him and get to know him better so he can get to understand you. I honestly think you two have a lot to learn from one another."

"Why?" I ask in a whisper, feebly and hesitant.

"Why not?" she asks back, smiling. "This whole situation is messed up but we can't do much for now. Why not trying to get the best out of it? Will represents a side of the story you don't know and have been looking down ever since. Maybe this is the chance to open your eyes to what they preach and at the same time teach them about your side."

"You speak as if he's interested in learning that," I roll my eyes, focusing then my gaze on the drink in my mug. My hands are wrapped around it and they are too warm, it's almost burning me but I don't move them. The conversation feels surreal, so this helps me remember it is happening.

"Yes, I think he's willing to learn." She chuckles at her own word choice.

"That's why I call him Guillermo," I mutter to myself, making her laugh harder.

"But honestly, I think he'll listen to you. Would you listen to him?"

"If he doesn't diss me while he speaks, yes, I would," I have to agree and the words feel bitter in my tongue. I guess that's my pride that I'm chewing on.

"I'm sure it's the same for him. So make use of this truce and try to understand the people who fight against you."

I sigh deeply. I feel this is very ironic, Nora telling me what I've thought Will has to do if he ever wants to succeed in his fight. But I didn't realise I was being as stubborn as him, not giving him a chance to explain his point of view.