Chapter 26

The One Where They Find Out

(A/N: I cried a lil bit while writing this lmao sorry there is some angsty shit up ahead I'm sorry)

John's POV

"John....John.... JOHN!" Yelled Alex, waking me up. "Your phone is ringing." He said sleepily, then shut his eyes. "Hello... Is this John Lauren?" Said a strange voice. "Yes?"

"Well, we regret to inform you this but... Your brother... James? Was found severely injured in your fathers home. 'Mary' has sustained minor injuries. Your father Henry has been taken into custody. We are in Barn's South Carolina hospital." She spoke monotonously with a hint of sympathy.  

I didn't have time to react, I didn't even have time to be sad. "Shit... I'm coming there, okay? I'll be there soon. Please tell me if anything happens. Please." And with that I hung up.

"Alex!" I yelled, and shook him.

"What is it?! Am I late?!" He said, jumping up. "No! No, I need to go back to South Carolina. My brother is in the hospital." I said, and started getting dressed.

"What?! John, calm down and-" I stopped running for a second. "I'm sorry, I'll call you." He started running with me.

"I'm coming with you."

Thomas's POV

Don'tAnswer: We need you to get those test answers. Now.

BastardOrphanImmigrant: Sorry, not going to happen. Something came up. Leave me alone.

Don'tAnswer: Fine, if you want mommy's porno all over school...🍑🍑🍑🍑

BastardOrphanImmigrant: I don't give a shit. Do it. I dare you. Don't call her mommy either, that's fucking creepy.

[You Have Been Blocked From This Number]

John's POV

We got there, finally. The trip over here was in total silence, besides my nervous finger tapping. "How's he doing?!" I yelled.

"He is in very critical condition still, there was-" "Can I see him?!" He yelled. The doctor sighed. "Yes, but Mr. Laurens-" we ran in.

"John?" Spoke my little brother. Dang, he was thin. I knew he was probably starving, but he looked about half-dead.

I smiled through teary eyes. "James!" I said running over to him.

"I'm sorry I forgot what you told me." He said. "My brother." I whispered hoarsely. "Hey... If it makes you feel better, I punched dad back. I got em' good."

He whispered. I ruffled his hair while Alex stood behind me. "Sh... I know, I know. I know, I know." I Said.

"Do you think I'm going to survive this?" Said James weakly. "Tell the truth... Please." He said. I shook my head no with teary eyes.

"...Figures. I don't even get to make fun of your future boyfriend." He said, and laughed lightly.

"You can make fun of me!" Said Alex. "Him? Really?" He leaned in to whisper. "He's cute." And I laughed.

"If I go... Which I will...I want you to know that I love you. And that you should punch Mary's future boyfriends for me, and that dads a d-bag, and that your the greatest big brother I have ever had." He squeezed my hand, and then flatlined.

Alexander's POV

Nurses came running in. "Sir, you need to leave." "What's going o-" said John shakily. "Leave. Now... Ugh, someone get him out of here!"

She said, and grabbed a tube. I dragged John out, before he could process what was going on.

"This is all my fault." He said, and sat down against a wall. "John, it's not your fault, anybody-"

"But it is my fault, Alex!" He yelled, and his voice did that horrible thing it did before somebody cried.

I sat down next to him, and he put his head on my shoulder while I hugged him. "I could have saved him... I could have saved him..."