I'm Not Gonna Say Goodbye (Ward/Campbell x reader)

The pain in your arms was close to unbearable as Ward held them tightly, his fingers pressing into the soft skin and ensuring that bruises would be left behind. You wouldn't give him the satisfaction of crying, or even letting him see an ounce of the pain that you were feeling; he had lied to you for so long, that lying to him now seemed only fitting.

"Let me go, Grant. They're coming for you."

"Do you think that means anything to me?" he asked quietly, his soft expression the opposite of the anger you felt from his grip. "Just come with me, (Y/N). This shouldn't change anything. I've loved you for so long, and you've loved me. I was this person the whole time, so why does it matter now that you know who I work for?"

"Why does it matter?" you scoffed, "you really are insane."

"Stop saying that!" With his yell his grip only tightened, though you didn't think it was possible. A small yelp escaped you and he released slightly, much to your surprise. Grant closed his eyes and took a deep breath, calming himself in the hopes that it would quell your fear. "(Y/N), I need you to come with me. I don't think I can ever stop thinking about you. I'll never stop loving you. If you leave me, I'll never stop looking for you."

With a quick glance over his shoulder you saw Phil with his weapon aimed and ready to shoot. Ward caught your small nod to the agent and spun just as he fired, the bullet hitting your shoulder but passing through and into his. His hand reflexively released you enough for Coulson to pull you away and to safety, but in the distance you could hear Grant calling for you, promising that he would never let you go.

~~~

With another night of broken sleep and the recurring nightmares that had plagued you for the past few months since that day, you gave up and decided to get some practice time in the firing range just as you did during most nights of the week. Phil would call you determined, Daisy would say you were obsessed, but Lincoln would only support you, knowing that no matter what any of them said, the nightmares and your fear of Ward finding you wouldn't go away until he was captured. They wouldn't go away until he was dead.

You never asked how Lincoln always knew when you couldn't sleep, and how he knew where to find you; you accepted his company for what it was and never thought that he might have a motive beyond friendship. When he entered the range a few minutes after you, there was no surprise.

"Again?"

"Why ask when you know the answer?" you scoffed, shooting your target with perfect accuracy, as usual. "I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm the crazy one of that relationship. At least he knew who he was. I have no idea anymore."

"Come on, (Y/N)," he said, taking a seat along the wall to watch you, "you know that's not true. You're still who you were before, you're just...more..."

You smirked and turned to face him, leaning against the wall and waiting patiently with your gun tilted precariously in his general direction. "Careful, boy. You choose that word wisely."

"You're even more impressive to me than you were before," he smiled with clear satisfaction in his answer. He stood and walked to you, pushing the gun to the side gently and standing face-to-face. "Though I didn't think that was possible."

His proximity wasn't uncomfortable, but it was different; it was exciting in a way that you had never considered from him before. "That's very flattering...I don't really know what to say." You set your weapon on the ledge and left your hand open for him to take; he did so eagerly, his fingers lacing between yours.

"It's not weird, is it?"

"Totally," you exhaled softly, feeling your heart begin to race.

"Weird bad, or weird...good?"