Chapter Eighteen

{Chapter Eighteen}

During lunch the girls only continued to whisper and giggle every now again about some plan to get Ian back. Though I just ignored them because I highly doubt two giggling teenage girls are going to be able to get Ian to forgive me, I wouldn't forgive me. The rest of the day was weird, what with actually going to our regularly scheduled classes rather than our parent's work. We didn't actually miss anything because we still did all our homework for those classes and kept up but it was definitely weird.

It wasn't until I actually got home that it sunk in that school was actually over and I was free to my own devices for the weekend. Then I remember my date with Jer and anticipation runs through me. Also curiosity because he did say he has a surprise for me.

So I use the next hour to get ready. I put on a nice red dress shirt, black jeans, and my nice black Vans to complete the outfit. I gather my stuff and leave the house after telling my parents that I'm going out. I drive to my mom's work, because Jer agreed that would probably be the easiest option rather than meeting in some location and leaving one of our cars at the place.

I shut the engine off, realizing I'm parked in my usual spot which makes me laugh a bit because I really thought yesterday would be the last day I parked here. That would be, or so I had thought, the last time I came here. I do get the feeling though that even this won't be the last time I come to my mom's, er, Jer's work.

After a minute or two I get out of my car and head into the building. I notice the receptionist is gone already, as is Mom obviously. I walk through the quiet, empty building, my footsteps echoing a bit throughout the halls. I go past Mom's darkened office, causing the lights to come on from the movement.

I get to Jer's door and get the familiar sense of deja vu. It was a mere thirty-one days ago that I first came to this exact door, pretending I didn't have the hots for my mom's boss. Just thirty-one days since I had pushed those feelings down, trying to ignore them. And barely less than thirty-one days that I met Ian. Barely less than thirty-one days did I somehow fall for both of them. And barely less than a week did I break one of the people I love.

Who knew so much could happen in such a small span of time.

"Levy, were you planning on staying outside my door all day? Or were you going to come in at some point?" Jer asks in amusement, his soft voice breaking me from my thoughts to look up at him. I laugh a bit and shake my head.

"Just thinking." I reply before leading the way out of the building. I notice Jer locks his office door before walking out and locking the front door of the building. He walks with me to my car but stops at the driver's door, making me look at him in confusion.

"Um, Jer I'm driving." I state and he chuckles.

"No, I have a surprise for you, so naturally I can't just tell you where to go. Now give me your keys," he orders in amusement and I sigh, begrudgingly handing him my keys. I get in the passenger's side, grumbling as I do while Jer just laughs and starts the car.

"You know, I've never actually driven a car this nice." He states before pulling out of the spot and putting my poor baby in drive only to peal out of the parking lot.

"Jeez, Jer, be careful with her." I grumble, grabbing onto the door handle as he takes a particular turn a bit faster than necessary.

"Don't worry, love, I won't hurt the car." He assures as he slows to a stop at a light. I relax into my seat at his assurance and sigh a bit.

"Yeah, ya better not. I love this car more than anything," I muse and he laughs, driving more like a sane person when the light turns green.

"I doubt that," he replies, reaching over to lock our fingers. I look down at our entwined fingers and smile, relaxing even more as he gets on the freeway. I watch as cars pass, watch the sights outside pass by as we go further out of town. Away from the lights, the drama, away from everything.