Part 24: Roses are Red...

I was released from the hospital on Wednesday when the doctor declared my head was fine and I didn't have a concussion. My mom wanted me to stay home for the day instead of going to school. Normally, I wouldn't have thought twice about it and would've stayed home, but for some reason I wanted to go to school.

My mom fought me on the subject. She was worried about my head and my broken arm, but I convinced her I'd be fine. She didn't look so sure, her being a nurse and all. Nevertheless, Xander picked me up Thursday morning for school since I couldn't drive with a broken arm.

"How are you feeling?" Xander asked once I got in the car.

I dropped my backpack in the backseat and said, "I feel great, actually."

Xander said, "That's good. Anyway, I'm surprised you, out of all people, wanted to come back to school so early. Especially after being in the hospital for a few days." He quirked an eyebrow.

"Ugh, I've been so bored lately," was the best I could think to say.

Xander nodded and dropped me off in front of the school so I wouldn't have to walk far. I told him that I was okay and could easily walk from the parking lot to the school, but he waved me off and forced me out of the car in the drop off lane. I plugged my headphones in to listen to my music since I'd have to walk in to school alone. Xander was gonna wait until Riley got here so he could walk her to her first period class.

I started up the steps to the school, nodding my head to my favorite rock music. Smoke burned my throat and made my nostrils flare. I used my sweatshirt sleeve to block out the awful smell and looked up the rest of the stairs to see someone leisurely smoking a cigarette. I narrowed my eyes and stalked up the rest of the stairs until I stood right in front of the culprit. I ignored everyone who stood surrounding him.

I snatched the cigarette out from between two full lips with a single ring piercing. I dropped the butt on the ground, smothering the stupid thing by stomping the life out of it.

"Are you done?" A deep voice asked, sounding bored. I stopped stepping on it and kicked the ashes with the toe of my shoe. Then I shoved by the group of annoying boys, using my cast to push them away. I entered the school to hear one of them say, "She's a badass." I smirked to myself when I realized it was Rick. Good thing Tracey wasn't close to hear what he said. She'd kill me if she had.

I opened my locker and groaned. I needed to bring a huge textbook to English and a few folders. There's no way I'd be able to carry it with my arm in a cast, but I still tried anyway. I put as much weight as I could on my non injured arm and shut my locker with my elbow.

"Let me get that for you," someone said as the heavy weight was lifted from my arms. I sighed in relief.

Smiling green eyes looked down at me. I grinned up at Finn in gratitude.

"Ugh, thanks Finn."

Finn carried my books in one arm and linked his other hand in mine. His cheek grazed my ear as he said,  "Can we talk after school?"

"Sure," I agreed, tightening my fingers around his hand, "Talk about what?"

"Us."

My heart sped up. Finn wanted to talk about us. That could only mean one thing. A stupid grin spread across my face as I blushed. Finn laughed and walked into first period English with me. He set my supplies down on my desk and sat in the empty seat next to mine. I took my seat and realized Xander wasn't here yet. He was probably still "walking" Riley to class.

Yeah, right. Ever since Xander started dating Riley, we've spoken a lot less. All of his free time consists of her, even when I make plans with him, Riley tags along as well. Like that time we were all supposed to meet at the movies, but I had gotten into an accident instead.