Chapter 5

"Who the hell are you?" demanded a beautiful brunette. She was wearing the waitress's uniform, a black pencil skirt paired with a white tucked in shirt. Brielle, who was also wearing similar clothes, looked up at her surprised. The brunette spit the hair away from her face and analyzed Brielle from head to foot.

"She's new." said a tall blonde boy, taking a trolley full of wine into the kitchen. He was wearing black pants and a white shirt. "And she's clumsy. Twisted her ankle already. She hasn't even been here an hour."

"Hey!" said Brielle, her temper rising. Where was all this nastiness coming from? "There's no need to be so condescending. I'm only trying to work here. Just like you, this job is important to me."

"Yeah right." said the blonde boy, exiting the kitchen leaving behind the two girls. "We all saw you on TV this morning."

"What does that have to do with anything?" asked Brielle in surprise.

"Honestly are you that dense or are you just trying to act dumb?" said the brunette, flipping her hair back, as another waittress, wearing the tag "Mimi" entered.

"You're late Mimi." barked the brunette. Brielle wanted to punch her face. Mimi was a tiny girl, with her short hair and athletic body, she could easily pass as a boy. She rolled her eyes at the brunette.

"Shut up Penny." said Mimi airily. "Who's this?"

"Hi, my name's Brielle." said Brielle. Finally someone who spoke civilly to her.

"Okay. So are yo dating Mr. Dixon?" asked Mimi looking straight into Brielle's eyes.

"No! I -his father collapsed at the park this morning and I took him to the hospital. Thats all, I swear."

"Really?" asked Penny and Mimi together, their voices harmonizing.

"Yes." said Brielle desperately. "I don't even know him."

"Thats great news. Its so nice to meet you Brielle. I'm sure we'll be great friends." said the woman named Penny. Bipolar much?

"Uh, sure." said Brielle uncertainly as Mimi chortled. "Why is it a problem if I know Mr. Dixon?"

"You really don't know. Oh my God Penny she doesn't know!" said Mimi grabbing Penny's shoulders.

"Will you both just tell me already?" said Brielle, her patience at the edge.

"Oh Mr. Dixon announced that he's ready to tie the knot. His father had been pressurizing him to get married for a while. Apparently he'll lose all the fortunes if he isn't hitched by the end of next month. Dixon has said many times he already has a secret girlfriend. It just breaks our hearts a tiny bit. We thought you were the girl he's dating."

Finally an explanation.

"He has 2 months to get married?" asked Brielle. "Poor guy."

"Poor me." said Penny sighing. "He's the hottest piece of man-meat I've seen in a long time."

"His eyes are so dreamy and his pants are so tight." winked Mimi. Brielle blushed a bright red.

"Oh she's blushing. How cute." said Mimi pulling Brielle's cheeks.

Brielle sighed. These girls weren't all that bad. The blond guy entered in time to see the three girls laughing.

"I thought we were supposed to be mean to her." he remarked.

"She's not the girl, Mark." said Penny with a laugh. Faker than my dollar leather shoes.

"Oh ok. Hi, I'm Mark." he said extending his hand. Brielle shook it briskly. There was something off about him. His blue eyes didn't reassure her. For some reason he looked vaguely familiar, but she couldn't put a finger on it. She needed to be on guard with him.

"Everyone, get ready to take orders. Penny your tables are one to six, Mimi yours seven to twelve, Mark thirteen to twenty. Gabrielle I'll start you off with three tables, twenty-one to twenty-three." came Fanny's terse voice.

All the employees nodded. Brielle felt a rush of adrenaline as she stepped outside, notebook and pen in hand. She was astonished to see the restaurant full already. She had been naive to think that there were only twenty-three tables and four waiters and waitresses. There were atleast another 200 tables all around, and in the open floor above. She saw several employees bustling about taking orders. This place must be really great if they can attract such a large crowd this early in the morning.

A woman and two young children were seated at the first table Brielle was assigned.

"Hello, my name's Brielle and I will be---" she started but was cu off by the woman.

"I'd like an eggs benedict and a large coffee. Pancakes for my kids." she said in a lofty voice.

Brielle nodded. "Thank you ma'am."

"Hurry up. I absolutely hate this chittar-chatter. Does time grow on effing trees?" said the woman snapping her fingers irritably. Her two children, a little boy and a slightly older little girl, looked very much afraid. 

Brielle bit back a retort. It wouldn't do to offend a customer. Brielle noticed the fat diamond ring on her finger and the expensive pearl necklace she wore. You'd be stupid to fight a rich customer; they'd send you to jail for a crime that is probably not even a crime. 

Brielle decided to forgive and forget as she walked to the next table. A young couple, newly married perhaps were sitting beside one another holding hands. They were both impeccably dressed, the lady wearing a lovely lavender gown and the man a suit and tie.

"Good afternoon, Sir and Madam." began Brielle hoping these customers would give her a chance.

"Oh good afternoon dear." said the young woman pleasantly. Brielle inwardly sighed with relief. "He proposed a while ago, I said yes, we're here for a toast."

"Congratulations!" said Brielle happily. She loved it when people decided o get married, it made her believe in love again.

"Thank you." said the good-looking young man looking at his fiance lovingly. "Honey, I don't know what to order. I've never been here before. I've never had enough money."

"That's alright  love." said the woman kissing him. "I love you so much. We can ask Brielle here for help, can't we?"

"Certainly Madam. May I suggest the  Poulet a la bretonne that is Brittany cider chicken, simmered with navy beans, beets, and bacon, in apple cider), and some white wine?" said Brielle.

"That would be lovely. Thank you." said the woman with an even lovelier smile.

Brielle walked away from the table with a smile on her face. She really liked the couple, they were really happy, unlike the woman at the first table.

She was shocked to see the person on her last table. Her eyes widened as she saw Jack Dixon and two more well-groomed men flipping through black leather files. 

Brielle felt nervous as she approached them.

"Good afternoon Sirs," she began as all three men left their documents to look up at her. Jack Dixon's eyes met her own, and all she noticed was the sly rise in the curve of his mouth, and the fluttering in her heart.