Chapter 37 - Meeting Halfway

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 37 – Meeting Halfway

With a deep sigh, I sunk onto one of the sea green plush couches in the living room as soon as we arrived. I feel like a beaten up Barbie doll with the skimpy strapless powder blue dress Louella picked for me. I bent over to my feet to remove the high-heeled shoes. My feet hurt. A lot.

Louella and Becky came in after me laughing as they did. They seemed to be getting along well. Both of them threw frustrated looks at me when they saw the strappy heels lying about on the floor.

“You’re ruining your outfit.” Becky grumbled throwing me an upset look. “We wanted to see Leon’s reaction when he sees you so put the shoes back on.”

“No. My feet hurt like hell and I’m dog tired.” I rolled my eyes in protest and curled on the sofa burying my face on the armrest of the couch.

“Sarah.” Becky sounded like my mother. “Sit up straight, will you? You’re ruining your makeup.” She pulled my arm up but I fought back.

“No. Becky. Please…” I whined half-sagging half sitting up.

Louella sat in front of me, crossing her legs daintily then rested her chin on one of her manicured hand. There was an amused look about her. “Becky, let Sarah rest. It’s been a long day after all.”

Almost instantly, Becky let go of me and grudgingly sat beside Louella. “Okay,” said she in a very retriever way. Great, just great. Urgh.

Just then, I heard the revving of engine as a familiar car slowed then stopped outside. It was Arthur’s R8 and I scooted up nervously at the sound of Leon’s voice as he argued with his Dad, again in accented French which was practically incomprehensible to me at the time. I am so taking advanced French next school year.

I bowed down fumbling on my shoes in a hurry to get them on. I was worried that Leon was upset but I didn’t know why. I couldn’t ask why and being as useless as I was, I couldn’t comfort him.

“Sarah!” Becky ran to me and sat on the floor, totally not demurring if she would ruin her new pink dress. “Let me—“ said she already on the second strap of my left shoe.

With an exasperated grunt, Louella ran to the door and held the door knob with both of her hands. “Hurry up, guys!” She hissed. The door knob twisted and Louella seemed to be struggling to hold Leon up. “Wait a second, Len.”

From behind the door, I could hear Leon shuffle.

“What is up with you girls?” His mellifluous voice made my heart hammer against my chest that I had to struggle in steadying my breathing.

Suddenly, a strange feeling crept in the pit of my stomach; something like stage fright. It was as though I was in second grade talent show again, meaning to play Chopin’s waltz number 10 in B minor, but my hands just froze and I ended up as a charity case.

“Oh forget about the straps!” With an annoyed sigh, Louella let go of the knob.”Get up Sarah,” said she with a hint of encouragement.

Struggling to keep my balance, I stood up worriedly as the door opened. Leon emerged with a dark look about his eyes, looking upset before he threw his bonnet on the piano seat and turned to my direction. Becky stood in front of me blocking the way so he wouldn’t see me at once.

“We’ve a surprise for you Leon,” said she before sidestepping and joining Louella.

I keep my gaze on the floor as I discreetly pulled down the seams of my skimpy dress, feeling my cheeks reddening, and my breathing ragged. When I looked at him, his blue eyes were fixed on me with something between surprise and admiration and I held his gaze for several moments before Becky pretended to clear her throat, tugging on Louella and Arthur’s arms.