Chapter 35

Harry blew out the fire that had turned the small paper into nothing but a pile of dust on my table. I'd been looking at the paper as it happened, hoping that it would feel better, seeing it disappear, but it didn't. I grabbed what was left of the paper and threw it in the bin under the sink. I rested my body against the counter and let out a big sigh. Harry put the lighter back in his pocket and walked up to me. He gently cupped my face, stroking my cheeks with his thumb.

“Are you alright?” he asked and kissed my forehead. I placed my hands on top of his and looked into his eyes.

“No,” I slowly whispered back.

“We'll find him Amber. I'll find him for you. And when I do so, I'll kill him.” I looked up at him, couldn't help but feel a bit confused.

“What?”

“I mean it. I'll hurt him so bad. He doesn't deserve to live. Not after what he did to you.”

“But Harry, you can't -”

“Kill him? Just watch me.”

Dad came home after driving mum back to Mark and Jim. It's been quite some time actually, bet they had much to talk about. I guess I didn't get the chance to see my mother again before she left. I guess I didn't mind that, I won't miss her that much. Now that dad was home, Harry understood that I wasn't in any danger, so he headed home. I followed him out, the cool air making me pull my sweater tighter around my frozen body. He gently pecked my lips before opening the car door and climb in. He rolled the window down and rested his head on his elbow. I smiled at him as he reached for my hand. I placed mine in his and he gently stroke the back of mine with his thumb.

“You do know I love you, right?” I smiled a small smile and nodded slowly.

“I know. I love you too Harry.” He pulled my hand up to his mouth and kissed it, making the feeling linger by still having my hand inches away from his pink lips. He gently dropped it and disappeared into the night. I let out another sigh and hurried back into the flat.

I have to admit that Harry frightened me with the whole death threat thing. Sure, it was sweet of him for sticking up for me, but I didn't want the man dead. Or did I? I knew for sure that I want him to go through something similar to what I've gone through, just to make him suffer as much as I have. I still suffer. I just want this to end. I can't live like this anymore.

I actually bumped into Elizabeth on the gas station one day.

“Hi there!” she greeted with a big smile.

“Oh, hi!” I said back and returned her grin.

“How are you darling?” she asked as we both waited for our cars to get filled with fuel.

“I'm alright,” I said and shrugged.

“Just alright? I have to admit that you look pretty sad.” Elizabeth's eyes looked as comforting as always. I actually missed the meetings we used to have. Now, she wasn't my therapist anymore. She was a part of my family. She was the mother of the boy I loved, not someone I visited just because I had a messed up life. She actually felt like a mother to me too. Is that weird?

“Oh well, I guess I'm a bit messed up since my dad's going home today,” I admitted.

“I see. Well, I don't blame you Amber. It's always hard saying goodbye to someone you love, even if it's just for a little while.” I nodded in agreement.

“Well, let's talk about something more positive, are you free tonight?” Elizabeth asked. I thought about it for a while, I don't think I have something planned.