Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Anyone can put on a mask and act like something they're not, but their insides will always show their true colors.

I sit at the very edge of the chair in the little café, my eyes scanning everywhere constantly over the people enjoying their Saturday. Unlike them, I'm attentive to every ring of the bell, everyone voice that orders a drink, and every chair that scratches across the floor.

After my friends discovered the mark─ that now is hidden behind my hair─ they asked how the hell I got it, and it was answered by me finding Harry's eyes in the crowd. I didn't stay after that, I didn't want to be interrogated on what happened in my absent. I left Jess with the twins, who promised to take a cab home, and not driving drunk. Since I drove my dad's car here, I got home soon.

I did sneak past my dad's room, who was snoring quite loud. I changed and went immediately to bed. I had a dreamless sleep and didn't wake up to a hangover, like the two in front of me.

Anyways, I'm on what I call "Harry alert." I afraid that he'll show up like last night, and pull me away again, though it would be harder in public.

"─you know?" Jess ends the sentence that I didn't hear begin.

"Sorry, what?" I blink rapidly.

"I said, maybe have eight beers, and two shots wasn't the best last night, you know?" She repeats.

"No I don't. Because I wasn't there."

"Don't be sour, my head hurts," her hands rub her temples. I roll my eyes, before turning to Brandy who is staring at the bright screen of her phone.

"What about you, babe?" I turn to Brandy. Honestly, it's odd to see her with Brit. Like a tunnel without a light at the end; then it's just a cave. But Brit never woke up when Jess invited us to grab a cup of coffee. I snap my fingers in front of her face when she doesn't look up.

"What?" She jumps.

"How's your hangover?"

Her phone buzzes for the hundredth time being at this table. She types a quick reply while thinking of a response to mine. "Um... it's not as bad as Brits, but it still aches." Right when she looks up at me, Brandy glances back to see if she has a new message.

"Who are you talking to?" Jess shuffles over closer to catch a glimpse of the screen. Brandy only tilts it away.

"You guys, duh." Jess mutters a "sure" under her breath and takes another sip of the coffee. I just roll my eyes at the whole ordeal.

"So speaking of the party, what happened with you and Harry last night?" Jess queried. So much for avoiding that subject. I wonder if I should tell them the truth. Before I could even think about lying, Jess speaks, "And don't fib because we all saw that hickey." And there goes that!

Even Brandy has placed her phone on the table, engrossed in this conversation. "Well..."

***

"Thanks for the ride, Jess. I'll text you later!" I arise from my place in Jess' passenger seat as she drops me off at work.

"I'll hold you to that!" I slam the door shut and wave as she drives off. I hurry up to the doors of the dance studio, ready to escape the cold breeze that England never fails to provide, even at the beginning of autumn. I made sure that the bruise was covered before I entered.

A class was already in session when I made my way to my desk behind the one-way glass, where only I can see the dancers. I work as an intern at the studio now owned by Lilly, who is practically my second mother. As my job, I make sure that everyone signs in and out, pays, and sign up any newcomers. It's quite simple, until you get to the paper work that comes with it.