Chapter 5: Derry and Dinner, Part 2

WHILE VISITING CUMULO that afternoon, Mhysra hung around the eyries to talk to a few Riders and Lieutenant Stirla about what to expect in training

WHILE VISITING CUMULO that afternoon, Mhysra hung around the eyries to talk to a few Riders and Lieutenant Stirla about what to expect in training. She got so caught up in their horror stories and competing boasts that she had to run home afterwards or risk being late for dinner. Which would have been serious, since this would be her last chance to gain her parents' permission. Tomorrow was the last day of Midwinter, when she'd promised to hand a letter of recommendation over to the fussy little clerk. Mherrin had already forged one for her, but honour demanded she try one last time.

Going straight up to change, she arrived in the drawing room just as the gong rang. She barely had time to greet her mother before her father led them into the dining room. Knowing what was coming, Mherrin had chosen to spend his last evening in the city elsewhere. He'd never been comfortable dining with the earl, and having the countess around made it far worse.

So while the earl and countess walked into the dining room together, Milluqua took her sister's arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. She knew how Mhysra felt and was on her side. Not that she'd intervened, since it was not her place. Mhysra didn't mind: she preferred to fight her own battles.

Lord Kilpapan sat at the head of the dining table, his countess at his right hand, his oldest daughter to his left, leaving Mhysra to sit beside her mother. She wished she were beside her sister, but swallowed her protests. During the early courses, her parents discussed the countess' recent journey, while the sisters sipped their soup and shared commiserating looks.

Next her mother grilled Milluqua on which families were wintering in Nimbys and what she had missed while she'd been away. Finding the conversation dull, Mhysra focused on her food. Knowing a lapse in manners would do her no favours, she waited for a pause.

"I saw Derrain this afternoon."

Lady Kilpapan smiled at her. "I am pleased. He wished quite desperately to share his news with you and was disappointed to find you from home."

"What is this?" the earl rumbled, leaning back so that the next course could be served.

"Derrain fra Canlen, my dear, a midshipman from the Illuminai. I mentioned him to you briefly, do you not remember?"

The earl looked bored, crew being beneath his notice, but Milluqua nodded. "I recall it, mother." She narrowed her eyes warningly at her sister. "He wishes to join the Rift Riders."

"Ah." His lordship nodded. "A fine ambition for any young man."

Mhysra scowled.

"I wish him well," the countess said, drawing the subject to a close.

Not in Mhysra's mind. "Thank you, mother, for easing his way. He's very grateful."

Milluqua dabbed her napkin against her lips and shook her head, but Mhysra ignored her. She fiddled with her fork, aware that her father was watching, and decided to try one more time. "I wondered... Have you heard the proclamation, mother?"