Chapter 8 - Our Secret

"Hey, 'Mione, um, I kind of need your help."

Harry tugged on the sleeve of his friend who had buried herself in a book once again. The two were sitting side by side on the sofa in front of the fire in the Gryffindor common room.

"You kind of need it, or definitely need it?" Hermione glanced up at Harry through her hair, which had gone back to its usual frizziness after one night of sleeping on it.

"Uhm, definitely, like, uh, right now. Please," Harry said awkwardly.

Hermione closed her book and smiled at him. "What is it then?"

Harry pressed his lips together. Ron wasn't here at the minute; he had a detention with Snape for stirring his potion counter-clockwise one time too many. This was why Harry wanted to speak to Hermione now.

"Well, uh, you know the, um, girl, who, you know..." Harry trailed off. He really wasn't the best person when it came to talking about this stuff.

Hermione's face lit up as she realised what Harry was trying to say.

"Yes," she squealed. She had become very interested in Harry's 'mystery girl' ever since the end of the second task. Considering that the tournament was nearly over, and there was nothing much more Harry could do in terms of preparing himself for the third task, Hermione had taken an interest in more social things.

Like Harry's love life.

"Oh, Merlin," Hermione breathed, continuing. "You're going on a date aren't you?"

"Shh!" Harry scolded her, however couldn't keep his dorky grin off his face. "Not so loud!"

Hermione giggled. "Sorry," she said, glancing round the common room. Only a few third and sixth years were sitting, talking amongst themselves quietly.

"So.. you're asking for my help? To prepare for your date?" She bit her lip, trying to hide her smugness.

"Well... yeah," Harry replied, blushing. "What do I wear? Oh Merlin, what do I say?" Harry was panicking, knowing he looked a complete idiot. It was only Draco.

Exactly.

"Don't worry, Harry, I'll help you. It's really no big deal," Hermione said, smiling encouragingly.

Harry nodded, sighing. He wanted to tell Hermione now, he knew she would help him. "We, er, are kind of um, a thing," he said, biting his lip, unsure of Hermione's reaction.

She gasped. "Harry, why didn't you tell me?" Hermione laughed.

"Dunno.." Harry mumbled, looking down. Of course he knew. He didn't want to tell her his date was Draco Malfoy, obviously.

Hermione smiled fondly at him. "Sooo.. when is it?" She giggled, finding Harry's reactions to the subject internally hilarious.

"Next week," Harry replied. "It's the Hogsmeade weekend."

"Oh. Ron and I were going to ask if you wanted to come to The Three Broomsticks with us for Butterbeer," Hermione said, looking slightly disappointed.

"Oh.." Harry bit the inside of his cheek. Would he really have to choose? Between his best friends and... Draco?"

But, Hermione, being the friend she is, saved his panicky thoughts.

"Harry, don't worry. This is your date, your first one in fact." This just made Harry blush harder. "I want it to be fun. You can go with Ron and me any time, and anyway she asked you out didn't she? So I want you to go." She smiled at him.

"Thanks, 'Mione. I'll let you know when I need your help, I mean, just before, to, uh, get ready and stuff." Harry was already fifty shades darker than two minutes previous.