Prologue

Kim

I took a deep breath as I stepped out of the airport. I had followed through with my declaration and I was now standing on Italian soil, awaiting the ride that Damian had arranged for me.

The others would be flying in for the wedding in a few weeks but I had to get there early because there was no way in hell he was going to marry this Anabel. Not if I had anything to say about it. So I had three weeks to make sure that Damian and the others would be attending my wedding when they came to Italy.

"Hey guys I'm going to go get some more snacks for the table," I said to the girls as I headed to the patio and into the kitchen.

I was trying to decide how much I could carry when the doorbell rang. I doubted anyone heard it from outside so I figured I should go see who it was. I opened the door to find a courier standing at the doorway with a letter and clipboard in hand.

"Is there a Damian Giordano here?" He asked.

"Yeah, he's out back but I can collect whatever it is," I told him, he shrugged carelessly and handed me the clipboard to sign that I had received the mail.

He left after giving me the intricately designed off-white envelope. I flipped it over and saw Luca's name. Something close to dread settled in my stomach although I didn't know what the letter could possibly contain.

I was convinced I had a special internal system designed just for him. Against my better judgment I opened the delicate little envelope. I mean why would he send a physical letter instead of just texting or calling his brother. The questions were swirling in my head as I took out the crisply folded card and read the first few words on the outside.

"You are cordially invited to share in the nuptial celebrations of:"

My stomach plummeted and suddenly my legs could no longer support me. I sank to the floor in foyer and with shaking fingers opened the card.

Luca Nari Giordano
&
Anabel Alessandra Abruzzo

I saw nothing as I allowed the card to slip from my fingers. I sat there for who knows how long with only one recurring thought in my head.

"I can't let this happen," I finally said out loud as I pulled myself up and headed back to my friends.

All eyes turned to me as I emerged from the house. Naia and Lia, I knew, could immediately tell something was wrong as they started moving towards me the minute our eyes met.

I held out the letter which Lia took from me and read. Her eyebrows shot up in surprise as she read its contents.

"What is it?" Naia asked in confusion and anticipation.

"I have to go to Italy," I told them with finality before Lia could answer. I didn't want anyone trying to convince me not to.

"What, why?" Naia asked, even more confused than before.

"Because I can't let the man I love marry someone else," I said, feeling sick at the very thought of Luca being with another woman.

This was the first time I had ever acknowledged my feelings for him and in front of his family and friends no less. There was no going back from here. I had to stop him from doing something we would both regret for the rest of our lives.

"Who are we even talking about?!" Naia asked in exasperation at being the only one out of the loop.

Fortunately her husband decided to put her out of her misery and gave the answer everyone else seemed to already know.

"Luca Giordano."

She gave a movie worthy gasp before turning to everyone and yelling.

"I KNEW IT!"

I shook my head, bringing my focus back to the present. I was going to need all my wits about me to convince a man that refused to acknowledge his feelings for me that he was in fact meant to be with me.

I faltered for a moment, wondering if I was making a colossal mistake by putting my heart and pride on the line like this. I seriously considered turning around and getting on a plane to take me back home. I started to do just that but my eyes immediately landed on a young couple.

The man was dark haired, obviously a stranger but somehow my mind put Luca's face on this unknown man's body. In a moment of cruel irony the man leaned forward and smilingly kissed the woman on her lips. A searing, irrational jealousy coursed through my body causing my heart to clench painfully, leaving me breathless for a moment. I knew there was no way I'd be able to leave without at least trying or I'd never stop seeing him everywhere and I'd never stop feeling this ache inside me. I'd broken up with my boyfriend (not that I had really been into him), quit my job and flown across miles and miles of ocean to get here. I couldn't just quit without trying.

With my resolve strengthened, I turned back around ready to face this battle head on. As if sensing that my decision was finally made, a well dressed man approached and stopped at a respectable distance in front of me.

"Miss Howard, my name is Lucien and I'll be your driver and guide for the duration of your stay," he said in heavily accented English.

I took a deep breath and stuck my hand out, "please, call me Kim."

He shook my hand and then packed my luggage into the back of the car. He waited until I was settled and buckled into my seat before driving off.

This was it. No turning back.