Chapter 9: Goodbye death contraption

Rori Everhart

He tripped me, gave me a bruised bump on my forehead, dyed my lips and teeth blue, almost poisoned me with an onion and drove me to a frantic state of paranoia. I let a sigh escape my lips. Maybe this prank wars wasn’t such a good idea after all.

I stood in my bathroom feriously brushing my teeth for what seemed like the hundreth time. I sighed giving up. Blue is not my color, I thought to myself as I lay on my mattress, procrastinating on how to get him back. So far I got: leave firecracking shit in his doorstep, dumping shit on him, putting shit on his food, mostly anything along the lines of shit on or in Alex. “These are all super lame ideas.” I stated to myself. I gotta hit him where it hurts, nothing related to his family jewels since I did that that already.

****

I woke up to sunlight streaming through my open curtains. Rubbing my eyes, I pulled my covers off and headed for the bathroom for my daily routine then went down to have breakfast and waited outside for my ride. Violet came zipping out front with the stereo on maximum volume.

I hopped on, saying goodbyes to Miles. I settled in the backseat with Elle. Like usual, she was radiating sunshine like she was the sun then I wondered what nyan cat would look like if it were human, at that moment a picture of Elle popped into my head, bringing a smile to my lips. That was a random thought.

“What are you smiling for?” Violet asked, looking through the inner rear view mirror of her car,

“Nothing.” I bit my lip. Elle tried to peek at my face and it took my mightiest not to look at her and not see nyan cat farting rainbows, polluting the universe with colors.

“You still have dye on your lips, but not as much on your teeth.” Elle spoke up, giving me an apologetic smile.

“Clemence said it would take a week to come off.” I replied with an exasperated sigh.

“Oh. That must suck.” She replied, the happiness dying from her voice.

“So what are you going to do?” Violet asked, her eyes kept fleeting from me in the mirror and the road.

“Do what?” I asked.

“You know what. Prank. You. Clarke.” She said with her are-you-stupid tone on.

“I haven’t thought about anything yet.” I told her bluntly.

“Hm. You better before he gets you good. Again.” She said, spiking my annoyance one level up.

“I know that.” I grumbled bitterly to myself.

“You know what would really suck?” Elle said. I turned my attention to her before she continued her sentence. “If someone stole my bike.” She said, nodding vigorously. In that moment, a perfect idea popped into my head.

“You are genius Elle!” I grabbed her into an unexpected hug. She giggled before I let go. Oh Alex, Alex, Alex. We pulled up at the campus parking lot but I decided I had a different agenda today, not one that involves any algebraic equations or creative writing. I fished my phone out from my bag and dialed Miles’ emergency number.

“Rori, what are you up to?” Violet asked, slinging her leather bag on her shoulder. I pressed my forefinger to my lips, shushing her. The phone rang twice before I heard Miles’ accent through the phone.

“What can I do for you Miss?” Miles asked.

“I need you here in the school parking lot asap. You can use my car.” I replied whilst scanning the place and my gaze landed on a specific someone’s bike. I couldn’t help the smirk that pulled on the corners of my lips.