first petal

petal by petal — first petal

"Hi? Annabel, I know you're there, okay? Stop ignoring me and please return my calls."

I press the delete button on my phone as I wait for my sister's car to appear right around the corner. Then I proceed to check the third voicemail from the one and only—my mom. 

"Annabel? Annabel, I want to talk to you, and you're making this very hard for me. Can you please stop doing this?" 

Yet again, I delete it, and then I proceed to switch off my phone. This woman is gonna drive me crazy from the calls she's made, it's impossible, really, to ignore her. The least she could do is call dad and make him to put me on the phone, which I'm pretty sure she will, if this proceeds. 

I stay fix on the ground, waiting patiently, my bag hanging over my shoulder and another arm holding the books I just bought from the store, it's more like a thrift store where you buy second hand stuffs and pretty vintage dresses—they're my favorite. Plus they sell amazing sweaters! 

Just as I keep my phone in my bag, a blue BMW stops in front of me on the road, without a doubt, it's my sister, Meaghan's car where my dad gave her as her 20th birthday present. 

I hop in the car with my sister handing me my Starbucks which I wanted her to buy me because coffee is everything to me and I honestly can't go on a day without coffee. 

"Got the books you wanted?" She asks, putting on the blinker.

"Pretty much, but there's this one that's out of stock," I tell her, taking a sip of my drink and place it on the cup holder.

"You can always order it online though," Meaghan says, eyes on the road. 

"I'll come back next week."

"After school?"

I nod. 

"No way, honey. I'm not making you walk alone all the way from school," she sighs for a bit. I don't even know if this is good. 

Eventually, I choose to change the subject.

"How's Eli?" I ask, glancing out through the window. 

"Still Eli," she answers, shifting her body in her seat and stops before a traffic light. "I mean, what do you expect from him? He's just Eli."

I roll my eyes, a smile on my face. "Right, right. We get it, Meaghan's Eli."

"Shut up, Bells." Meaghan laughs a little, nudging my arm with her elbow.

I shake my head and lay it against the head rest. I've been spending almost the entire day at the bookstore on the day before school starts, but it's not like I'm expecting to hang out with my friends anyway, Harmony is probably busy attending her dad's party at their hotel. 

We make small talks on our way home, because the both of us are just comfortable with each other that we can ride home without talking. A while later, the gates to our house open, the guards greet us and we drive down the lane where both sides are planted with tress so it sorta gives out a 'welcome home' message, and I love it, I really do. 

We circle around the fountain right in front of the stairs and both of us step out, with Meaghan handing the jockey her key and make our way into the house.

It feels good to be home.

"Miss Meaghan, Miss Annabel," one of the housekeeper greets us.

Both of us return her a smile.

"Welcome home, Meaghan, Annabel." Mary, the head housrkeeper addresses us. "Your dad's in the backyard." 

Meaghan thank her and lietarlly drag me with her to the backyard, and to not surprise at all, there he stands, in front of the pond right beside the pool, where all of his collection of fishes swim freely in it.